Salting New Tank

kelz0429

Hello all!

I am starting my very first Goldfish tank. I have a 20 gallon tank, AquarClear 50, small air wand and air motion aquarium ornament to help with aeration.

I am experienced in the keeping of Bettas and other tropical fish--I am brand new to Goldfish. I normally add 1/4 of a teaspoon of salt per gallon of water. Will this work with Goldfish? I am under the impression that Goldfish need a higher concentratoin of salt than do tropical fish--is this true? If so, how much salt should I add to my 20 gal?

Thanks so much! :blink:

Nenn is absolutely correct.

1 Level Tablespoon of large grained aquarium salt per 5 gallons = (approx.) 0.1% salt

2 Level Tablespoons of large grained aquarium salt per 5 gallons = (approx.) 0.2% salt

3 Level Tablespoons of large grained aquarium salt per 5 gallons = (approx.) 0.3% salt

1 level teaspoon of large grained aquarium salt per gallon = (approx.) 0.1% salt

2 level teaspoons of large grained aquarium salt per gallon = (approx.) 0.2% salt

3 level teaspoons of large grained aquarium salt per gallon = (approx.) 0.3% salt

Salt at 0.1% is useful for helping fish cope with a tank that is not fully cycled. It helps to protect the gills in the presence of nitrites, most specifically.

Salt at 0.3% is useful for helping kill off or greatly reduce numbers of parasites. Many parasites that commonly afflict goldfish can be killed with 0.3% salt in the tank.

Salt in higher concentrations can be used for a short term dip - to strip the slime coat and all the adult parasites that may be in the slime coat of a fish.

Many people choose not to use salt on a regular basis - prefering to keep it for times of need. A parasite that has never been exposed to low levels of salt is more sensitive to it when it is used as a treatment.

:)

Archived