Can You Help " Peggy Parker"?

Guest Cathy

Peggy Parker is a fancy gold about 8" long in a 20 gallon tank with a decorative log. 4 years old. She and two other fish were the center piece at a luau. I rescued them. Don and Earl died a few days after I put them in the tank.

I don't know if this fish is a female, but she has such a beautiful fancy tail and such a temper that I just always thought she was.

Just did a 50% water change tonight.

Ammonia level is already 1.0

Nitrate is 5.0

Don't have a PH test kit but can get one tomorrow.

She has red streaks on her tail and and fins.

Top Fin is a little ragged and has a couple of clear granules in it.

I feed her Anti-Bateria Medicated Fish Food (Jungle)

Was using Prime in the tap water. Now using Water safe plus(Jungle)Tank Buddies Conditioner.

Filter is a Marineland Penguin 350

Tried Melafix and 50% water changes for the Red Streaks - no avail.

Started getting these cottony substances in the tank and now I can't get the water to clear up (cloudy).

Peggy just stays on the bottom, doesn't swim around at all.

She still eats well.

Now I am trying Lifeguard All-In-One Treatment.

I have a small 50 W heater in her tank to keep the tank around 72 degrees.

When I go to these big chain pet stores it seems like I get an employee that it is their first day on the job or the people that I talk to that have fish just don't seem attached to them. If they die they just buy another fish. Peggy has personality, I would like to get her well. Can you help me?

Thank you,

Cathy

Hi Cathy I am glad to see you here. Poor things were a decoration at a party? My goodness, you are wonderful to have tried to save them. Now let's try and keep this one alive.

I will move your thread to the diagnosis area, you have answered most the questions but if you read thru and have missed any please give us that info.

I would start off by recommending to stop using any meds until you get the water under control.

A ammonia reading of 1 is dangerous, I would think this could be your culprit. Do water changes hourly (testing inbetween, all tests you have) until the ammonia reads no more than 0.25, preferably 0, especially since you have a reading of 5 on the nitrates.

Make sure to keep them above 1, to ensure their stableization (sp).

You will definitely need to get a nitrites kit and a ph kit as you said. These too are so important.

I wish you well, hopefully together we can help you.

Thank you for your reply. I purchased the PH kit. Did the hourly water changes (testing in between until the ammonia level was between 0 and .25. The PH is between 7.0 and 7.2. Nitrate is 5.0. I will check another store for the Nitrite kit tomorrow. I stopped putting the med's in the water. The water temp dropped to 68-70 but is climbing. I try to keep it around 72 degrees. Presently the water is clear again. Peggy Parker swam up to the surface for food for the 1st time in a long time, but is staying at the bottom for the most part. She still loves to eat. I won't get to test the water again for Ammonia until tomorrow after 6:00 pm but will monitor it closely.

Cathy that sounds good. Once you find out what the nitrites are, it will be important to keep them as well as the ammonia at 0, while the nitrates between 5-20.

Often when a fish has been in poor water quality it can take a bit to get well. The quicker you get the water under control the better.

It is also a good idea to check the tap water's ph, to make sure there isn't a big difference from tank to tap.

Is she eating well? If so fasting her a day or 2 may help if she is a bit constipated. then follow with feeding her peas for 2 days. Deshelled and cut up of course. This acts as a natural laxative for gf.

I apologize. I have been having trouble logging in. Just received my information. I am sorry to hear that Koko has been ill. Purchased the Nitrite Kit. Nitrite is 0. Nitrate stays around 5.0. PH is 6.8. Peggy is still eating well but staying at the bottom of the tank. I have to change her water daily to get the Ammonia level from .50 to 0. You are going to think I am crazy, but Peggy swims around in the tank until she sees me come into my office then she rushes to one side of the tank and looks at me pitiful. Her fins and tail seem to be clearing up a bit but they are still red. She has lost a few scales on the left side. All of this has been a learning experience for me. Goldfish must be pretty durable since Peggy is almost 4 years old now. I kept a Betta "Bugs" for almost 5 years and that is almost unheard of. He was a sweet boy.

I don't mean to sound dumb, but how can I tell if she is constipated? Peggy gets mad if I feed her late. She will turn over the decorative log in her aquariam. She has a temper. I can't imagine not feeding her for 2 days. I am still feeding her this Anti-Bacteria Medicated Fish Food.

I will read on the forum on how to send a picture and I will try to send you a picture of Peggy.

Thank you,

Cathy

Archived