Otocinclus For My Wcm Minnow Tank?

mrbumblebee

Hi Guys, I've done a little reading around already but I thought I'd get some advice from you guys too.

I have a WCCM tank - set up for coming up to 4 months as below

10 gals

Small internal filter

Small airstone

15W Flourescent lighting

Java Fern and Java Moss on bogwood

Scattering if riverstones

No heater, room temperature 18-20C

6 White Cloud Mountain Minnows

I've been thinking for a while about the possibility of adding something else into the tank and have been wondering about Ottos, maybe a pair?

Am I right in thinking that they're cooler water fish or do well in cool water. Lots of the temp ranges I've found online are from about 20C so I think it might work. My tank sits around 20C (buffered by 10 hours per day flourescent lighting). Otherwise, I can always get a small heater and set it a bit higher to say 22C minimum (that way the minnows can still be comfortable too) Any ideas/thoughts/experiences?

I think it would be a nice environment for them and I don't think the Minnows will bother them or vice versa. I've been looking about for quite a while now and today I saw that my LFS has loads in stock at the moment.

Any help much appreciated as usual :)

That should work although you may have to get a heater

You don't need a heater.

Sounds like a nice tank. Two or three otos would be fine and you could even keep more like 8-10 WCMs. I'd recomend a fishless cycle if you could bear the wait. :)

Cheers, and good luck!

Thanks for your comments guys :)

The temperature thing is what I was a bit unsure about. The majority of info I can find for Oto temps ranges from 20-26C. Obviously my tank would be at the lower end of that as it's at room temperature 20C - do you think the Otos would acclimatize to that and still thrive?

The tank is fully cycled and the filter is well matured . So, introducing something else into the tank shouldn't be a problem.

Anyone else had a any experience with Otos in an unheated tank? Did it work OK? :)

Ottos are a delicate species, so I would get a small filer and keep the temperature around 22*C at least so they are warmer, happier, and the temperature is more stable. I keep my ottos in a tropical tank at 26-27*C

Thankyou for your help Kissy :)

The tank is filtered and well matured already.

The tank temp is sitting constantly at 20C, maybe upto 21C during the day. I'm still debating whether to add a small heater in to up the temp slightly again, the Minnows can adjust to slightly higher temps so that would work.

Archived