Biozyme

Chrissy_Bee

I just wanted to know if anyone has an opinion on 'biozyme'. I bought it a while ago and it really seemed to work at the time (for those who don't know, it's a package of dried bacteria culture which you add to your water to activate, supposedly boosting your cycle big time). I haven't had a reason to add it to my tanks in a while, but I was thinking about putting it in my tropical tank because I just added a new filter.

Chrissy

Guest olive.oyl

I actually bought biozyme before. I have to say it's more a gimmick than anything else. Live anaerobic bacteria cant survive on that "brown bran powder" that's contained in biozyme.

And needless to say, it truely dirties up the water until you clean it.

If you have a cycled tank, then adding more bacterial "seed" won't do anything useful. As someone said, it will only add unnecessary waste to your tank.

I'm not crazy about dried bacterial cultures for tank cycling anyway. As I recall, nitrifying bacteria are rather sensitive to their environmental conditions. I don't think (could be wrong here) that they are spore-formers, which would be needed to survive a drying process.

Seeding cultures that are fresh and kept refrigerated are another story. Before I bought one of those, I'd make my own from a little garden soil (or pond sediment if you dare) mixed with water and allowed to settle. The overlying water will contain a nice mixture of bacteria which will seed your tank.

Most of the "bacterial" treatments that are sold in the marketplace are useless (like septic tank treatments). As a general rule, if conditions will support bacterial growth, they will grow whether you put them there or not. Bacterial are ubiquitous. Kind of like... if you build it, they will come.

Dennis

Thanks for the imput everyone. I did also find that it really cleared up my cloudy water, but I have the same doubts about it as everyone else (ie, can bacteria survive in that form). I think I might just keep adding it, if it's doing no harm, but it'd be good to see some scientific data on it.

Chrissy

Archived