Old Tank

Hidr

Ok my 75g is about 12 years old. Use to house an oscar so its a little scratched up on the inside from the oscar.

Then I shut it down for a year after the oscar was in it for about 10 years. When I set it back up I tried parrot fish for a short two months with a couple clown loached that got ich. So treated for that and now the silcone that holds it together is blue.

So its not very visual appealing. Except I dont think any notices the problems like I do they are to busy looking at my fish.

My real consern though is that it is old. I tried to talk my husband into resealing it but he wont touch the project.

Can I fill it with water and bleach and get the blue out? Is there anything I can do to buff the scratches? Or should I leave well enough alone? Or is it time to buy a new 75g tank. I have priced them it would be 200 plus tax.

I don't have 100% solid answer for your questions. But I couldn't do anything for the scratch on my tank.

If you want to buy a tank, you should go through your local craigslist at least once. You might find a good deal for a decent tank. I got my 90 g for $100. It is pretty new w/ a few minor scratch.

Good luck.

Ya after I get part of the funds toget I plan to do that unfortantly I very seldom see that large of a tank in Mississippi. 55 is what you see a lot of.

It was one of those that says on the bottle it woudl do that. But at the time I was only concerned out saving the clown loaches. It didnt work they passed anyway.

Scratches on the glass are not really something that you can remove as you could were the tank acrylic....

As far as the "blue" color, you can try filling the tank with a strong bleach solution. It will help a bit - but not all. A good, softer silicone seal will actually absorb some of the "blue" so that it is "inside" and cannot be touched by bleach.

Resealing is really not as hard as it sounds. Do it one corner at a time if you wish. Just do the four vertical corners - they are really the only ones you see anyway.

You can take the tank and set it outside in the direct sunlight. Sunlight is actually a wonderful thing for the tank - and will, with enough, lighten the blue color so that it is not too noticable. Unlike Illinois, I suspect you have seen the sun in the past few months in Mississippi! ;)

You can cover the back of the tank with a solid blue background - making the blue of the sealant fairly invisible.

You can get yourself busy with a tank full of GORGEOUS swimming works of art - the goldfish. Then you will no longer see the tank - just the fish!

:)

I am sorry about your other fish. :hug

It already has goldfish in it. Has for a while now. The blue just bugs me is all. My hubby never notices it. Thank you for your suggestions.

Archived