Help My Sick Oranda!

Guest vfmodel

Guest vfmodel

My Oranda has the following problems:

Sitting on the bottom not moving

Not eating

Gills look like they're almosed closed and not moving a lot

Reddish/brwn color underneath gills

Anal area looks enlarged or sore (His poop was very large last week)

Looks like scales have fallen off

Fins looks frayed

Eyes look pale and sunken in

Body is a little swollen

Please help!

Please fill in as much of the information listen below as possible. It will be a lot easier to diagnose your problem. In the meantime I would do a 50% water change.

Is it possible to post of picture of your fish? You can use www.photobucket.com

Gills should be a red meaty color.

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level?

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

Ph Level out of the Tap?

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running?

What is the name and size of the filter/s?

How often do you change the water and how much?

How many fish in the tank and their size?

What kind of water additives or conditioners?

Any medications added to the tank?

Add any new fish to the tank?

What do you feed your fish?

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus?

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..?

I just wanted to add that you can get your water tested for free at most fish stores or larger pet stores with fish sections. Ask for the numbers, not just good or bad and report them back here.

I would especially take note of the number for nitrite (not nitrAte, but nitrIte). The brownish colouration can be a sign of nitrite poisoning. Also, the other symptoms you describe fit nitrite poisoning, but the only way to find out is to have the water tested.

How long has your tank been running?

As Katalyst has suggested, I would do a large water change. I would go even as high as 80%. Vacuum the gravel, if you have it. Rinse out your filter media in a bucket of tank water.

Then, I would add 1 tsp. of salt per gallon. Use aquarium, pickling, kosher, coarse or sea salt ( a salt without additives). Dissolve in tank water before adding. Salt helps with nitrite poisoning, and it also is a bit of a tonic for goldfish.

Please post back with as much info as possible and welcome to Koko's.

Guest vfmodel

In regards to all the levels of the water, I will have to take it to a fish store to test it.

I did change half of the water yesterday, and added some salt.

The tank is small 3 gallons, so I added 3 tsp salt as recommended on some websites.

I bought the tank around Christmas time.

I just added two plants and a rock last week.

there are another fish in the tank, a swordtail lyre, who's just started to nibble on the oranda. the oranda doesn't move away. Should I move the Oranda or the Swordtail?

I answered what I can here:

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level?

Nitrite Level?

Nitrate level?

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)?

Ph Level out of the Tap?

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? [/i]3 gallons, 2 months

What is the name and size of the filter/s? Picotope

How often do you change the water and how much? 25% every week

How many fish in the tank and their size? one oranda 1 1/2" + a swordtail lyre 1 1/2"

What kind of water additives or conditioners? NovAqua+

Any medications added to the tank? I just added 1/4 pill of tetracycline per fish stores reccommendation.

Add any new fish to the tank? No

What do you feed your fish? TetraMin, tried pellets one time. Oranda usually ate all the food, and Swordtail didn't eat anything. Swordtail doesn't like the TetraMin.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Oranda has frayed fins, Gills look like they're not opening much and looks pale reddish/brwn, Body looks a bit swollen, Eyes pale, Anus is enlarged or sore, some scales have fallen off. The Swordtail lost some of it's orange color in the last week, but seems fine otherwise, except for being picky with food.

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? The oranda is sitting at the bottom or at the top not moving, has no energy, not eating...the Swordtail has started nibbling on him, and The Oranda doesn't move away.

I would move the oranda into in the very least a 10 gallon tank immediately. You can use a rubbermaid container in a pinch, I suspect that is part of your problem. Goldfish are very messy fish and water quality can go downhill in a matter of hours. Fancy goldfish need a min. of 10-15 gallons per fish while single tails need 20 gallons per fish. It would be really hard to maintain a healthy goldfish in such a small tank, you'd need to do at least 2 water changes a day if not more.

How many gallons per hour does your filter turn over?

Hello and welcome to the site.

Right away I can safely say that your major problem is water quality.

GF require 10 gals of water each per fancy gf (double tails) and 20 gals each per common or comet gf.

This being because they produce a huge amount of waste that makes the water toxic. Thus causing illness and death.

I would recommend moving one or the other, preferably the gf to at least a 10 gal tank or rubbermaid container with water. (these can safely be used in a pinch until you get a bigger tank)

I would higher recommend buying the tests to have at home. For you are going to need to test your water daily until you resolve the water issue.

Are you familar with a biological cycle in a gf tank? If not, you can research this (I will link you at the bottom). It is the most important thing you can do to keep your gf happy and healthy.

In the meantime I would do a 75% water change today and again tomorrow. Usually we don't recommend this much at one time, 2 days in a row, but even without knowing your results I can safely say fresh water will help your fish out right now.

Post back soon.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/cycle.html

Guest vfmodel

I had to move the Oranda, because the Swordtail kept nibbling and I had to constantly watch them.

Should I use all new water for the rubbermaid container? or mix some of the old water. Should I add salt? and should I add the tetracycline that the fish store gave me?

What about a filter? Should I move the filter from the tank?

Thanks for all the help.

Guest vfmodel

I really don't know what to do....The Oranda is just sitting on the surface by the filter, not moving at all.

Can he get better? or is this the end? How long can they go without food? He's not eating at all.

I would use all fresh water. What size container do you have to house him in?

In my opinion, no meds just clean fresh water. Changed 100% daily until you can get the proper environment for him. (of course that is unless you have a full tank with filter, and such).

At this point it is worth a try to save him, but know it may be too late.

Guest vfmodel

he is now in a 14 gallon rubbermaid container, but he's not doing good. His fins look eaten away and there's some white stuff hanging from them and the gills.

I tried to feed him with a pea, but he didn't want any.

Poor little guy. You are doing good. Does the rubbermaid have a filter on it? If not you'll have to change 100% daily. If it does, run the tests on it as you would a tank.

Don't let the ammonia get above 0.25, same with the nitrites, until it is cycled.

Try to encourage him to eat, he'll need his strength to heal. Again, keep in mind patience, after being in the other tank with the trauma it may be a bit before you see an improvement. If by tomorrow you aren't you could use a Maracyn med to help, but keep an eye on the water, for when you use Maracyn it can break down what cycle you have.

Guest vfmodel

I did put a filter on it. It's very hard to get him to eat. I feel like he's just sitting there waiting to die.

What is Maracyn? Is it similar to tetracyclin? This is what the fish store gave me.

No I don't think it is, but I could be wrong. But the tetracycline may work in place. Since you have it, use it. But I really would wait a day or so to see if just perfect water will turn him around. Any med messes with the water quality and that is what he needs right now.

Guest vfmodel

He's in bad shape, laying on the floor and starting to tip over on his side. I think he's definitely dying. Maybe I should euthanize him.....?

Archived