Attention Finrot Experts: Ragged Fins.

yazooo

Ok so last week Dustin developed a split in both of his lower tail fins. Over the last week or two the edges which were once black have slowly began to lose colour to become transparentish. Anyway. So over a couple of days the splits started to heal up a bit. I checked on him this morning and one side has split all over again and become very raggedy at the bottom.

My other goldie Francis also has a split in his tail so something is going on here. I tested the water right away and got 0/0/5-10ppm. So thats all in working order. All tank equipment seems to be functioning. pH is the same as it always is. I did my weekly water change yesterday along with changing the polypad and vacuuming the gravel so there really shouldnt be any kind of build up of dissolved solids soiling the water. My gravel is only one stone thick with some areas barebottom so I cant see all around. Filters are also not due a rinse for a while.

There really is nothing obvious that I can see wrong at all yet most of what I can find on the web suggests that finrot is caused by poor environmental conditions.

There are no hollow ornaments in the tank. Filtration is more than enough. Current isnt too strong stressing them out or anything like that. I dont have their light on for any more than a few hours in the day, if that. They get a varied and comprehensive diet, though are not over fed. I keep up on bi-weekly water changes of 25% each time, matching the water temp. The tank's temperature remains at a constant 73 degrees. And I dechlorinate.

Just on the last point there I have in the past left the cap off my dechlorinator before for more than 24 hours. I emailed the manufacturer who told me that it shouldnt make any difference and the product should be fine to use still. Given that these splits got worse after a water change im starting to think that perhaps the dechlorinator hasnt worked or something? Im grabbing at straws but its the only thing possibly amiss that I can think of at the moment?!

Right now ive started them on some metromeds, given that this has been going on for a few weeks and its getting worse. I also put in a single dose of melafix though whether ill continue using it im not sure.

NB: Salting the tank isnt an option as its home to a brig. also.

Any suggestions as to how to get to the bottom of why this has happened, or anything ive missed that could be causing it?

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 5-10

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.2

Ph Level out of the Tap? 7.0

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 20gallons. Since August.

What is the name and size of the filter/s? Internal Juwel filter and fluval plus 4. Offering 20x filtration.

How often do you change the water and how much? Bi weekly 25%.

How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 goldies. Each about 3inches.

What kind of water additives or conditioners? King british dechlorinator.

Any medications added to the tank? Melafix.

Add any new fish to the tank? No.

What do you feed your fish? Fresh foods. Freeze dried bloodworm. Selection of commerical foods. Gel foods.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? See body of post.

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? Behaviour normal. Active and lively with a good appetite.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi yazooo,Did you happen to buy these 2 fish both at the same time? Did you do any sort of quarrantine with them and a 0.3% salt solution,to make sure that they didn't have any flukes,or any other Parasites?

Do you keep salt in the tank now,and if so,how much?

I personally would recommend you upping those water changes to 50% on a weekly basis.Your regimen may work okay now,but as those fish continue to grow and produce even more ammonia and waste,I think they'll definately benefit from the bigger water changes. :)

Fin rot and split fins are not exactly the same IMO. Have you noticed anything at all-gasping at the top/bottom sitting,scratching or flashing against objects,yawning or clearing of gills,any white stringy poo?

.Do their gills look red/meaty,or kind of on the pink ,paler side?

Are your levels always spot on,or have you had ny recent spikes in your params?

Sorry for all the questions,I just want to rule out any other possibilities. :)

Hi yazooo,Did you happen to buy these 2 fish both at the same time? Did you do any sort of quarrantine with them and a 0.3% salt solution,to make sure that they didn't have any flukes,or any other Parasites?

Do you keep salt in the tank now,and if so,how much?

I personally would recommend you upping those water changes to 50% on a weekly basis.Your regimen may work okay now,but as those fish continue to grow and produce even more ammonia and waste,I think they'll definately benefit from the bigger water changes. :)

Fin rot and split fins are not exactly the same IMO. Have you noticed anything at all-gasping at the top/bottom sitting,scratching or flashing against objects,yawning or clearing of gills,any white stringy poo?

.Do their gills look red/meaty,or kind of on the pink ,paler side?

Are your levels always spot on,or have you had ny recent spikes in your params?

Sorry for all the questions,I just want to rule out any other possibilities. :)

No problem, I actually wanna be asked as many questions as possible to get to the bottom of this!

1, No. The fish were bought separately and from different stores. Francis I have had since August and he was my first goldifsh. Dustin ive had for about 2months or so. There wasnt any QT procedure. And no prophylactic treatment either.

2, No salt is in the tank and never has been b/c there is a brig in there thats been there for as long as ive had Francis the first fish.

3, I already do bi-weekly 25% : which equates to 50% per week as it stands.

4, For clarification purposes Francis has a single scissor snip split of about 1cm on his tail along with a white edged spot that will subsequently develop into a split. Dustin's entire tail has turned transparent around the edges and one tail fin is raggedy with lots of splits in it.

5, They both tend to do a bit of air gulping post feeding but it isnt anything desperately unusual. There is no bottom sitting at all. No flashing. Poop is healthy. Behavior wise there doesnt really seem to be anything amiss. I would see the occasional yawn, Dustin did it a lot when he first arrived but not anymore.

6, Their gills look red meaty and healthy.

7, Water params suffered an ammonia spike (0.25)when Dustin came on the scene several months back. But since then there havent been any blips.

:) It's always a good idea to set up a q-tank for any new fish before introducing.Sometimes when you do keep params perfect,it can kind of hide any problems,or "keep them in check",if you know what I mean.Often times when you have a water tank temp difference/poor params, stress for what ever reasons,etc,this will surface any underlying problems you may have.A fish can have parasites and we as owners, sometimes may not even realize this because of everything else being spot on,and keeping things kind of in control..I'm not saying that this is the problem,more to be "aware",in case any future symptoms occur. :)

Have you by chance seen any sort of chasing/mating behavior?(Another thing to rule out) :)

Any plants-especially plastic in the tank?

The white edged spot on Francis that you've mentioned could possibly be something viral,that may come and go. I have a fish that gets those on occasion and because params are always in check,it leaves me completely baffled as to why it does come and go. :hmm

From my experiences and reading, fin shredding,splitting are normally cause by poor water quality/Parasitess. High Nitrates can be known for doing this/a high concentration of salt also. Breeding behavior and Even swings in ph can cause these sorts of probs.From what you've said though,it's not adding up,and I personally am at a loss as to where to go,if your params are pristene.

Maybe someone else will catch something that I may be missing. :unsure:

:) It's always a good idea to set up a q-tank for any new fish before introducing.Sometimes when you do keep params perfect,it can kind of hide any problems,or "keep them in check",if you know what I mean.Often times when you have a water tank temp difference/poor params, stress for what ever reasons,etc,this will surface any underlying problems you may have.A fish can have parasites and we as owners, sometimes may not even realize this because of everything else being spot on,and keeping things kind of in control..I'm not saying that this is the problem,more to be "aware",in case any future symptoms occur. :)

Have you by chance seen any sort of chasing/mating behavior?(Another thing to rule out) :)

Any plants-especially plastic in the tank?

The white edged spot on Francis that you've mentioned could possibly be something viral,that may come and go. I have a fish that gets those on occasion and because params are always in check,it leaves me completely baffled as to why it does come and go. :hmm

From my experiences and reading, fin shredding,splitting are normally cause by poor water quality/Parasitess. High Nitrates can be known for doing this/a high concentration of salt also. Breeding behavior and Even swings in ph can cause these sorts of probs.From what you've said though,it's not adding up,and I personally am at a loss as to where to go,if your params are pristene.

Maybe someone else will catch something that I may be missing. :unsure:

1, When the lights go out, Francis will chase Dustin. But this is only whenever its dark and they are divided every night.

2, Yes I do have a large plastic plant that acts as a flow stopper for one of the more powerful filters but I honestly dont believe that that is a problem.

3, The white edged spot I describe subsequently develops into a hole and then a spilt. So im tending to believe that its more of a finrot problem. Also the fact that Dustins fin edges are transparent makes me believe its fin rot over any mechanical damage.

You and me both Devs! Ive genuinely no idea whats going on and my gut instinct is that there is something wrong water wise even though the tests are perfect. Ive triple checked them with both old and new test kits to be sure. I think what ill do is keep feeding the metro meds. Buy new water conditioner just to be sure that chlorine/chloramines are not an issue. And perhaps gently rinse the filter sponges in aged tap water. Other than that I really do not know!?

Im really hoping someone is going to come along and suggest something blindingly obvious that ive missed so I can solve this.

Hmmn something just occurred to me. As part of the internal filter there is a nitrate removal sponge. Just coming across the instruction booklet I noticed that it says to replace it every 6weeks. The one ive had in there would def be closer to the 10 week mark. I unfortunately dont know enough about exactly what nitrate removal sponges are to know whether this could be a problem?

Archived