Meds For Healthy Fish?

Aleiah

i was wondering if giving medicated food to a seemingly-healthy fish would harm them, or even stress them out?

i don't know why moose's tail and fins are all of a sudden very pink (from veins). within a matter of 15 minutes of feeding! the only thing i just did was add melafix and feed medicated food to them because bugsy and sparky had odd, white poop. moose has just been hanging out at the top of the tank, so i thought i'd give her some too, just in case she may have caught anything from the other two... so in light of this sudden appearance, i added a new gallon of fresh water and a dose of stress coat...

we just did our weekly 1/3 water change yesterday, and all the parameters are well within normal ranges (according to the test kit).

there are 3 fish in the 33 gallon, with a whisper 60 filter.

we use tetra aquasafe to condition the water.

i've noticed that sparky and bugsy have both been sprawled out on the bottom the past two days, and only being their normal selves when i come around, and when it's feeding time. i only feed them small portions of omega one pellets twice a day. moose is always the first one to attack the food. today was the first time i fed them the medicated food (jungle anti-bacteria).

what did i did i do wrong?

p.s. bugsy and sparky have been lively since i fed them... they haven't rested once on the bottom since. but moose's fins and tail are still flushed! this is scary since moose is a white fish, but suddenly all her finnage is pink! :blink:

Hi,"The normal range reading" can read so many different things for different tanks,so what are your exact number's?Do you know the Nitrate readings?How long has this tank been set up?What temp do you keep this tank at?

White fish to begin with ,have a tendency to show any red streaking the quickest-because of their coloring it seems.

Did you test your params before the water change?

I'm leaning towards water quality right now.

Fish can get red streaking for a number of reasons,from not matching tank temps of new water and treating first,to stress,to illness,etc.

I personally don't feel that the WHisper 60 has enough bang for a goldfish tank,and would look into an Aquaclear or Emperor 400 as they have much more media room to house beneficial bacteria,and their turnover rate seems to fit what the goldies need more. :)

As for feeding med. food,it's okay ,after you've ruled out param problems and such,but it must be fed for at least 10-14 days,exclusively,to do any benefit for your fish.

I myself, would recommend upping your water changes to at least 50% on a weekly basis,using temp matched and treated water,along with a good gravel vac. :)

The odd white poo sometimes occur during times like this.If you do a good water change and get the readings perfect,and he continues to soley poo white stringy poo,then he may have caught up with a bug and may need some extra treatment

I think that Bugsy and Sparky may have acted a bit livelier,not because you happened to feed them medicated food,but more that you did a a third of a water change yesterday.

I have a Red Cap (all white fins) that shows an alarm as soon as his tank has any sort of unacceptable water readings,as his tail will start showing pink immediately.Normally it will go away after a day or two as long as I do a big water change. :exactly

I'd give that a try first before I start medicating anyone whether it's food or waterborne meds. The params should always read perfect on a steady basis,before we jump to meds.

Good luck and continue to keep us posted. :)

thanks for your help! see answers below... *note: not "yelling" at you, just using CAPS to differentiate yours and mine*

Hi,"The normal range reading" can read so many different things for different tanks,so what are your exact number's? PH 7.2, ALKALINITY 120, HARDNESS 120-250, NITRITE 0, NITRATE 40, AMMONIA 0. Do you know the Nitrate readings?How long has this tank been set up? 3+ MONTHS What temp do you keep this tank at? 72F

White fish to begin with ,have a tendency to show any red streaking the quickest-because of their coloring it seems.

Did you test your params before the water change? NO

I'm leaning towards water quality right now.

Fish can get red streaking for a number of reasons,from not matching tank temps of new water and treating first,to stress,to illness,etc.

I personally don't feel that the WHisper 60 has enough bang for a goldfish tank,and would look into an Aquaclear or Emperor 400 as they have much more media room to house beneficial bacteria,and their turnover rate seems to fit what the goldies need more. :) WE'RE LOOKING INTO UPGRADING IN ABOUT A MONTH.

As for feeding med. food,it's okay ,after you've ruled out param problems and such,but it must be fed for at least 10-14 days,exclusively,to do any benefit for your fish.

I myself, would recommend upping your water changes to at least 50% on a weekly basis,using temp matched and treated water,along with a good gravel vac. :) DULY NOTED. LUCKILY, WE HAVE A BARE BOTTOM TANK, SO IT MAKES IT A LITTLE BIT CLEANER.

The odd white poo sometimes occur during times like this.If you do a good water change and get the readings perfect,and he continues to soley poo white stringy poo,then he may have caught up with a bug and may need some extra treatment NOPE, BUGSY'S POOP WAS ONLY WHITE WITH SPECKS OF HIS FOOD YESTERDAY.

I think that Bugsy and Sparky may have acted a bit livelier,not because you happened to feed them medicated food,but more that you did a a third of a water change yesterday.

I have a Red Cap (all white fins) that shows an alarm as soon as his tank has any sort of unacceptable water readings,as his tail will start showing pink immediately.Normally it will go away after a day or two as long as I do a big water change. :exactly SO THEN I SHOULD TAKE OUT SOME WATER NOW, AND PREP FOR ANOTHER CHANGE? OR SHOULD I WAIT UNTIL FRIDAY?

I'd give that a try first before I start medicating anyone whether it's food or waterborne meds. The params should always read perfect on a steady basis,before we jump to meds. I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER... I'M A JITTERY "MOM"... :krazy:

Good luck and continue to keep us posted. :)

:rofl Thank goodness you weren't yelling,as I got enough of that from the Nurses at work last night! :yikes

One thing that I did notice about your params was the fact that after you did a water change,your Nitrates were still around 40. Now I've read a million different things of what is considered "Bad Nitrates",and I will tell you that although 40 isn't awful,if you do have vulnerable fish or fish with low immunes,they can indeed be affected by these numbers over a period of time.

I would definately do another water change now,and try and get that reading under 20 ppms and see if that makes a difference. It's always best when starting new to be aware of how Nitrates can really affect fish,because once youir tank is up for so long,it's amazing just how fast those levels can soar.People are always focused on the Ammonia/Nitrites,and sometimes don't realize what the effects of Nitrates can do.

Now I'm not saying that this is your exact problem,but it would be my guess. I'll tell you that if you get water reading pristene----0 Ammonia/0 Nitrites-----under 20 for Nitrates,then you can at least rule out the problems being a water issue. :)

Do you do weekly gravel vacs along with your water changes? Bare bottom does make it so much easier,but its a good habit to clean any crap that you see floating around.

Good one with the looking into a bigger filter. :hi5

Nothing wrong with being "A JITTERY "MOM",as that just shows me that you really care. :exactly

One more thing hun,check your water straight out of the tap and see if you have any Nitrates in your water to begin with.

EEEP! :krazy: the nitrates out of the tap read 0! that means that our tanks was teeming with it before our water change!!! :thud

ok, i'm prepping water for another change now. thanks for all your help!!! :thanks:thumbs:

sometimes i worry about myself... if i'm this nutty about our fish, i can't even begin to imagine how nutty i'll be with kids! :rolleyes:

ok, i guess i spoke too soon about bugsy... after a day of swimming around, he is now sprawled out at the bottom of the tank again. is he tired? his gills are a nice, healthy, pinkish-red, and his breathing seems fine... :why:

i mean i LOVE seeing his butterfly tail spread out, but i prefer seeing it while he's swimming around! :crying:

Archived