Sign in to follow this  
ryukingirl793

Moses Acting Weird...

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? .25 i know, i know, but the tank is cycling. changing every day

Nitrite Level? around 1

Nitrate level? 20 or less

Ph Level? 7.6, i think

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 20 gallons, running for just a week or two

What is the name and size of the filter/s? whisper 20. came with the tank. i know, i need a better one but I'm a little short on cash right now.

How often do you change the water and how much? every day about 10%, or 20% every other day

How many fish in the tank and their size? one oranda, about 3-4 inches without tail

What kind of water additives or conditioners? aquasafe

Any medications added to the tank? no

Add any new fish to the tank? well, yes. the one in right now

What do you feed your fish? right now, krill. he can't seem to catch anything smaller

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt",

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no, except he looks quite thin

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? a bit lethargic, swimming a bit clumsy, may or may not be flashing against rocks, and here's the big one: very eager to eat, but can't seem to swallow his food. just sits there and chews until he gives up and spits it out.

anyone, help please? he's very thin, i don't know what to do :(

All right, I guess I should actually give the FULL story here.

Moses was in the 55 gal with the others until he started swimming clumsily and sitting on the bottom, and they started harassing him. i moved him to a 15 gal or so rubbermaid and medicated him with maracyn for swim bladder disorder, which i thought was the problem. he never really got over it, but he improved.

i tried to put him back in with the others, but they still didn't leave him alone. i figured i should probably get him his own tank and give him peace. we put him in the tank and he seemed fine for a while until he started swimming awkwardly again wouldn't eat. also, recently he's been spending a lot of time idling vertically, head facing at a 90 degree angle straight towards the surface, and just sort of wiggling. it doesn't look like he can't swim, it looks like a very deliberate position. every now and then he'll go up to the surface and snap at the water. i think he's looking for food. anyone? help? please?

It could be that he's finding it difficult to deal with the cycling tank, the flashing and stuff could be a reaction to the toxins in the water, also you say he's vertical with his head at thesurface... is he gulping for air at the surface? -this could be due to a lack of oxygen in the water, do you have an aerator going in that tank? it could also be that he's got gill damage, the nitrites in the water irritate fishs gills, also, gill damage can occur from many types of diseases, gill flukes, bacterial gill disease are two biggies. If he was already under stress because he was sick before moving him to the uncycled tank, the cycle is going to really stress him out/make him sicker, you've really got to try and keep the ammonia and nitrite levels at 0. -Can you take some filter media from you established tank (I'm assuming it is establised/cycled) and put it in the filter of you cycling tank? There are also products on the market that will chelate/sequester ammonia/nitrite(stop it from being harmful to your fish) that you can use, it's not great for cycling a tank, but at the moment, it's more important to keep those ammonia and nitrite levels from exacerbating you sick fish's problems. I can't remember what the product is called, but maybe someone else will be able to help you with that.

Nothing you have mentioned about your fish has really suggested it has internal parasites, you mentioned that he was looking better after treating with maracyn, perhaps try another round of treatment.. You say he's looking thin, what's his poop like? short brown stumps, or long whiteand stringy?

Also, keeping the water salted up to 0.3% will help.

I think the best thing you can do for your fish is to maintain a water with no ammonia or nitrite, that may mean doing 50% water changes every day for a while, and see if he stops scratching/hanging at the surface of the water, and salting the water. Then maybe another round of Maracyn...

Good luck.

Thanks for the response!

I have a bubble wand in the tank, so aeration shouldn't be a problem. The fish sort of lets himself sink down a bit, then rushes back up and snaps at the water, then sinks down again, etc. If I didn't know better I'd say he might be extremely bored.

The gills look good. Pinkish-red without any raggedness or anything.

I've seen both kinds of poop in the tank; both brown and stubby and long, white and stringy.

I'll change the water again immediately and salt the tank, and I'll keep you updated. Thanks again! :)