Clown Loach Breeding?

Guest mary-ann

Guest mary-ann

hi, i seem to have a small clown loach breeding problem, at least i think thats what they are doing. i seem to have 1 female and 2 males, the dominant male is constantly chasing the female and attacking the weaker male. all the fish are exhausted and the weak male and female are getting very stressed. what should i do?

is there a sure way to tell the difference between male and female clown loaches, because my female has a sort of triangle black mark under her dorsal fin, when the males have just a strip

i know they don't actualy breed until they are older, but that is what they seem to be doing.

:huh:

I'm surprised that you say your clown loaches are breeding? -Professional fish breeders have never got these fish to breed in captivity.... what size are these loaches, did you know that they grow up to 12 inches long? Are you sure? have you seen eggs. :blink:

Hi Mary-ann! I do not know how to sex the clown loaches, but there is a cool website you should check out for more info- loaches.com Maybe you can find out there.

Do you know how old they are? Typically, it is best to keep 2-3 females to every 1 male, because of the breeding (chasing and aggression) issues. This will be less stressful on the sole female you have, and both males will have a better chance and hopefully won't fight so much.

I have one clown loach in my trop tank, along with a common pleco and 2 platies and 1 danio. While it is best to have a group of loaches, I have been unsuccessful with keeping more than one. So far he seems to be happy!

I hope I have been of some help to you. I am sure someone with better info will come along and read your post soon. :goodluck

Tosakin has made a good point about the breeding...I forgot about that.

Archived