Al-marts Rein Of Fish Terror Is Over!

gel

:D Wow-That's great!

I just did some research though, and it appears as though they are only stopping at some of their locations. They are not completely abandoning the fish business yet. But it's a start!

I saw that some of them had nice fish, not a bad price.

I would buy from them :) If I saw something that looked good.

But as you would expect, the rich towns have much better fish then

the ghetto towns.

They seemed not as crowded tanks like p.co.

But a lil understaffed & under trained.

Be really careful here, folks. This topic will be closed or removed if it goes towards too much "store bashing". We have all seen stores - fish or general - that keep the fish in HORRIBLE conditions. But there are ones out there - the chain you are refering to, even - that do a good job.

It is sad to have to "lump" all the stores together in such a fashion.

I have a Super nnnnnn store , one of many in El Paso, about 2 miles from me and where I have never bought any fish from them I do go past the tanks when I'm in the store just to peek and I have to say their tanks are some of the cleanest and the fish, mostly tropicals but some goldfish and koi, look preatty healthy. Now, I have not checked out the other ones in town here, but the people at this one must be doing their job.

I would be very disapointed if this were true. I have had nothing but good luck with our local branch. I have purchased from there many, many times, and I must say, never had any major issues with any of those fishys. Hopefully that doesn't happen up here in Canada. :(

Five of my goldies are from a nearby nnnnnnn. They are 3 commons and 2 comets that I bought over 3 years ago. They are all big and healthy. Statistically (sp?) I have had better luck with fish from my local nnnnnnn. I haven't bought any fish there recently, but I do get my filter media and other tank cleaning supplies from there. The plants I have in my tropical tank are also from nnnnnnn, the "grow your own" type plants.

the mart of walls fish arent that bad. I got mr. brain and sunny d from there and their doing great. I've also bought 2 corry catfish that are doing great too. Sunny d has almost tripled his size since i got him. The bad thing is that alot of times they dont know very much about fish.

Guest Marigold's Mom

Merigold and Lilly were both purchased at the mart of wal. They are doing wonderful! They are enjoying their lunch (peas) right now. We live in a very small town with only one local pet store. The fish we purchased there all died but Marigold and Lilly are very healthy. :exactly

I have seen both.

At my nearest one, the fish are well cared for, but thoroughly picked through, even carrying Dragonfish on occasion.

At one just 5 miles down the road, however, the story is drastically different. I have witnessed, complained about some ridiculous sights such as a group of blackmoors in a tank with mollies.

I, for one, applaud this.

The store I frequent is not too bad, expect for their "feeder" tank, which is often waaay overcrowded. But it thins out really quick. The other tanks are pretty well kept. Every time I go shopping there with my two-year old he insists on seeing the fish. Although they sell a number of different varieties, he is only interested in the goldies :)

I bought Neon Tetras, Harlequin Rasboras, and Black Rasboras at...I think mmm...and they all died in about a week. The ones from W-Mart? Little troopers! The 3 Rasbora that I have left are all from there.

Dad picks up all the goldfish from there as well, and while the ones in the pond are dying from being nipped by the guppies and from overcrowding (15 gallon pond with about 20+ wild mosquito fish and goldies) the two Black Moors that I rescued from that fate are trucking along just fine.

The Mart isn't abandoning them yet; the good news is that they're getting rid of the ones in stores with lower fish sales, which is in general the ones that aren't being cared for properly. I was afraid we'd lose ours, but we are one of the top ten for sales in the district so we got to keep ours, besides the fact that in my customers' opinions (mine too, but I'm too biased :D ) they are better than both the LFS fish and so far the best place in town to buy.

The Mart isn't abandoning them yet; the good news is that they're getting rid of the ones in stores with lower fish sales, which is in general the ones that aren't being cared for properly. I was afraid we'd lose ours, but we are one of the top ten for sales in the district so we got to keep ours, besides the fact that in my customers' opinions (mine too, but I'm too biased :D ) they are better than both the LFS fish and so far the best place in town to buy.

That's probably the best action to take for them; very glad to hear that. Best of both worlds

Guest Marigold's Mom

Yep, ours is quitting too. I was just in there yesterday and went by the fish dept. to pick up something for our tank when I saw the sign. What fish were left were 75% off. I felt bad for them...no homes to go to. Wish I could have bought them all. :crying:

I got my glofish from wal mart and they brought ich with them! I lost one fish but the others recovered and are doing great. The tanks looked clean and well cared for though.

Something like that could have been caused by the stress of the move (in addition to the stress of moving from their breeder to the store & etc.), but it's good to know that you were able to save most of them. :)

Archived