Harmful Decor

Lyndra

I am looking to expand on my oriental theme in my 60 gallon tank. Today, I am going to Chicago's Chinatown for dinner and of course I will browse the many little shops. I want to add some Chinese decorations and these places have an abundance. Does anyone have any warnings about different materials that may be harmful? I don't want to get something that will leach off any harmful substances. Is all plastic generally safe? Are silk plants ok? I'm thinking of looking for silk bamboo. Will this be ok?

Be careful about paint. Generally speaking plastic is aquarium safe but anything painted on it or with decor on it may not be. I had a bad experience with bamboo (the real stuff-my fish got fungus from it) but silk I hear is okay...avoid any metal.

I hope someone else can give you more advice :) Have a good time in Chinatown :D

I had a great time in Chinatown. I found a green stone/plastic? Buda and a dragon for the tank. It is that jade looking material if you know what I mean. I can see the cut marks at the bottom and the material appears to be the same color throughout, not painted. I'm thinking there will be no problem with those in the tank. Have any of you used that material?

Also, I went to Michaels and found what I wanted in the way of plastic Bamboo. However it was in an arrangement which I bought and I have taken all the bamboo out. If I bought that much plastic bamboo at vvvv it would have cost me $75!!! I paid $20 for about 10 large pieces. It's really neat. Now I need to make an aquarium safe arrangement with it. I was planning on using silicone to ancor the bamboo in a little plastic tray that will go under the gravel to hold the bamboo down. Is GE clear silicone safe for this use? Should I get the silicone aquarium sealent instead. Has anyone made their own decorations using silicone at the base?

I'm not sure about the GE silicone, but I have used aquarium sealant on decorations and it works just fine. I would recommend that - the aquarium stuff is safe and I'm not sure about the other stuff. Make sure you clean the new stuff really well - I use vinegar and water. I've heard that if you put some straight vinegar on something and it fizzes, that you shouldn't use it in your tank. Some reaction with the chemicals on the surface?

Good luck and post pictures!

I agree with Imogen about watching what you buy.I bought a christmas santa and a penguin from a petstore.They were proper aquarium ornaments.However a couple of days after adding them to my tank I noticed the paint on them starting to bubble.I immedietly removed them so its worth keeping an eye on items sold for use in aquariums too.

Same here. I bought some plastic resin grecian ruins from a pet store that were tagged aquarium safe but in the space of a week the paint started coming off and it was promptly removed! Such a pain, it cost a bomb too. If I had kept the receipt id have taken it back.

Here's what I did. I used a disposable plastic ziplock bowl. I bought 2 tubes of aquarium sealent and put it in the bowl. Then I mixed in gravel to make a thick goop. I arranged the bamboo in the goop. Put it in a big bowl and poured lots of gravel around the bamboo to hold it in the positions I wanted. It is now sitting on my kitchen counter drying. I am going to give it a whole week to dry and set. Then I will take it out and remove he Ziplock bowl. I should have a nice firm clump to burry in the gravel in the tank. Hope this works!! :unsure:

Here's what I did. I used a disposable plastic ziplock bowl. I bought 2 tubes of aquarium sealent and put it in the bowl. Then I mixed in gravel to make a thick goop. I arranged the bamboo in the goop. Put it in a big bowl and poured lots of gravel around the bamboo to hold it in the positions I wanted. It is now sitting on my kitchen counter drying. I am going to give it a whole week to dry and set. Then I will take it out and remove he Ziplock bowl. I should have a nice firm clump to burry in the gravel in the tank. Hope this works!! :unsure:

If it seals to the bowl, how will you remove it?

Well, we will have to see. If it sticks to the bowl, maybe I will just have to cut the bowl away from the sealent. Or at least get as much off as I can. Whats left of the plastic bowl adhering to the sealent and gravel will then have to stay on and be burried with the whole base.

I'm more worried about the Chinese dragon and Budda that I bought yesterday. They appear to be some sort of a mix of glass and stone. Just the typical little decorations in any Chinese decor. I have them in the tank now but I am on tenderhooks. That cue ball story above scares me. Would you leave them in and take a chance? I think they should be safe. They do not appear to be made of resin as they are heavy like glass and stone. :unsure:

I should check your pH regualarly with anything you add to a tank. You would be surprised how certain materials can plummet pH fast. Don't want to scare you, it may be absolutely fine -just get your pH kit out ready to check more frequently. If the pH starts to fall or the fish behave strangley, whip the ornaments out and do a large water change. You'll know within a week or so if they are tank safe. Good luck, they do sound neat :)

Archived