Modifiying An Eclipse

Lyndra

I have a 12 gallon eclipse which was my very first tank. I have since moved on to a new 60 gallon tank, however I have had to move a SBD fish back into the Eclipse.

I think the SBD is permanent and fear that I will have to make this a permanent home for my little SBD guy. I am not happy with the filtration and the biowheel. I would like to install a better filter. What should I do? The Eclipse is a curved front tank and I don't think I can find another hood to fit. THe existing hood houses the filter and bio wheel, which has not been adequate even for one fish. Has anyone done this? I don't want to go back to the old underground that I had, as I have gone "bare bottomed" in this tank and am very happy with this.

You could always use a small cannister filter like this the first one on this list. It puts out 116 GPH an hour.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_filter...nal.asp?CartId=

I didn't research the entire site and you may find what your looking for on that page. I'm sure you could rig something up for the filter to sit on if you wanted a HOB filter. I tried that route once and was too worried it'd might tip over and it also looked pretty awful and never went that route.

You could also visit your LFS and ask them. I'd find the filter I was interested in and find a tank in my size and see if its doable.

I have an Eclipse that size too. It does house a single rather large goldfish quite successfully.

You can always just remove the entire hood. It just lifts off - and what you will have left is just a nice bow front tank. Standard glass tops may fit in the "straight" part of the tank and the bow part will be left open..

You can cut your own fitted top from lexan and get hinge material (McMaster Carr)

If you prefer to keep the original top/filter, you can add media to the tank (what I have done). I have stuffed the filter well with bags of sintered glass. On top of these, I have a piece of floss. In the tank, I have a bag of media behind the deco. The tank is beautifully cycled and supports the fish, well.

A cannister is also a nice viable solution, too. :)

I'd be a little nervous putting a filter in a tank with a weak fish who has sbd. My one little rescue who had what I believe to be sbd was even thrown around by the weakest of air pumps. I had to put a tank divider in to stop the current/keep the fish from being sucked into the intake.

Whisper in tank filters don't create that much of a current and you can always put a sponge on it to slow it down.

Daniel

Oh I'm sure...Personally I just wouldn't want to, watching a fish float around aimlessly is heartbreaking and I think it'd be easier on the fish to have as much room without bumping into things as possible.

Archived