Gentlest Of All Goldfish?

Lyndra

My Red and Gold Oranda, Mr. Big, I'm afraid is suffering from permanent SBD. He is just finishing a course of Medigold and will need to be on it for at least 1 more week until I am sure he is not infected. He resides by himself in a 12 gallon Eclipse with a bio wheel. He is eating very well, and does manage to swim somewhat, but spends the majority of his time on his nose or side. He is about 3 inches in length.

I realize that a 12 gallon should only house one fish, but I cannot help but feel sorry for him in there all by himself. Is there a way I can get him a tank mate? I of course would do water changes often. I cannot put him back in my 60 gallon tank as the other 5 Orandas would pick at him and make his poor disabled life miserable, if not kill him.

I was thinking a very small GF for company for MR.Big would be nice. But what kind? Which GF is known to be the gentlest of the gentlest? I need a very nonaggessive tiny fish to give Big some company. Any ideas? Is this even a good idea. He looks so pitiful alone.

i will suggest to leave him a lone. As he is sick, he would like to live by himself. A new fish might carry an unknown stuff. The new fish might pick him as well. You never know, I have seem bad ryukin, bad pearlscale or ranchu that has an attacking attitude. :D

Edited by small_ranchu

I agree with Fred - it'd be way too risky adding a new fish and I don't think he'd want a new tankmate if it meant his living arrangement became overcrowded - plus if he's got issues with his swim bladder, i think he'd want to stay on his own :)

i will suggest to leave him a lone. As he is sick, he would like to live by himself. A new fish might carry an unknown stuff. The new fish might pick him as well. You never know, I have seem bad ryukin, bad pearlscale or ranchu that has an attacking attitude. :D

Don't forget pit bulls oranda's. I have a tiny terror of an oranda who is only two inches and goes for the eyes every time. She resides by herself in a 20 gallon in my kitchen.

Edited by Katalyst

My oranda is a monster too! She kept picking on my pearlie until I separated them and she still tries to attack him through the divider!

But Lumpy's still a great fish! :)

Edited by MyGoldfishIsLumpy

I also agree with the others, I would not add another fish! With his sbd and the fact that he spends time on his side and does not swim normally,he would be slower to get food when fed and another fish would surely get the food first. Also, I have noticed from my SBD fish, that the other fish tend to be curious and always picking and swimming around the fish laying on its side and although it may not be in a negative way its got to make the sbd fish feel threatened.

I have two of these fish that are preatty much in the same stages of SBD and they live together in a 20 gal tank. Neither can swim so are not a threat to each other.

I'm going to keep Big by himself. I never thought about getting him a mirror. I would mount it to the outside of the tank right? Although, I still hold out hopes of being able to put him back in my big tank someday. However, for now he will be fine, and safer alone.

Guest Juliosmom

My oranda is a monster too! She kept picking on my pearlie until I separated them and she still tries to attack him through the divider!

But Lumpy's still a great fish! :)

I thought all GF were supposed to be mellow! There was an oranda stuck in with some fancy gf at a store and I thought .. woo hoo, an oranda for $1.98!!! Yeah, well, got him home and put him in my tank with my black moor (who was very depressed at the time) and the rotten beggar swallowed the black moor's tail and head butted him for two days. I've called him Gary, after my husband, as they both have the same surly, grumpy personality. And they both eat ... a lot. :blink:

i feel so bad, everyone's bashing orandas! i love my little john waters. he is very gentle! i think it just depends on the personality of the fish. if you had a 'fro like that, you'd be protective of it too. "don't mess with the 'do man".

on a more realistic note, i'd say pearscales are pretty gentle, because they can't wobble fast enough to bully really.

Can you temporarily transfer one of the other fish to his tank to see whether he responds to the company?

I think seeing whether he wants to be sociable is worthwhile. Noticing that he has company could be good for him. If not, remove the other fish.

I have had peaceful comets and ornery orandas. I've never had a lionhead/ranchu who acted mean though. Maybe they just can't aerodynamically manage it.

Right now my 12gal quarantine tank houses a tiny long finned torpedo-shaped bright red telescope-eye goldfish and a new Juli cat. They are schooling together and eating together. I wonder whether they still will when put in a big tank with others of their own species.

Caroline in San Jose

My 2 little Orandas love eachother. I think they are a lot nicer then the fish i have in my tropical tank. But then again, theese 2 little orandas are the first goldfish that i have ever had....But they get along great, and they have only been together for 2 days. It even looks like they try to gently kiss eachother. they talk to eachother alot too.

Umm, i don't know about putting another fish in with your sick one...He probably would be happier alone. Poor little guy. You could always put his tank near another tank so he could see other fish, or just put a mirror near his tank. But i think with his little "dissability" it would be really stressful on the poor little guy.

• 2 months later...
Guest TheLordsServant

I had a Red Cap Oranda and my brother had a Pearlscale, and the Oranda almost ate the pearlscale until we finally got a second 10 gallon tank for the oranda. It was pretty agressive too, even though we were told they were very gentle and slow swimming fish.

Guest Angel

Yeah, I agree with the above. Let the fish be by himself. I did have all my SBD fish (when they were all alive) together in a tank. Somehow Zorbo, my Oranda managed to chew on Atilla's head! :blink: I think it was because I was trying to feed Zorbo medicated food, and darn it that just wasn't enough so for dessert, chew on another fish. I immediately started feeding Zorbo properly, and Atilla's head was spared.

Edited by Angel

Guest Angel
I've called him Gary, after my husband, as they both have the same surly, grumpy personality. And they both eat ... a lot.

:rofl

Hilarious!!

• 2 months later...
Guest SpinsterSly

One thing I'll say for this forum - it's very informative!

My little rescued Pearlscale (Shogun) is missing an eye (hence my rescuing him), and I'm now convinced that the culprit must've been an Oranda. The restaurant I rescued him from had about 15 goldfish in a tank that couldn't have been more than 50 gallons, and there were all manner of goldies in there, including Orandas.

I know how slow Shogun is, so I can see how Pearlies would be the first that bully-fish would pick on.... Poor babies!!