New Tank Help

Guest PearlScales4ever

Guest PearlScales4ever

I just got my new tank, finally (240 gallons :D ) and im wondering what should go in their eg. what plants, what snails, what filter, other suitable fish etc... to go with the fish i already have.

I already have 4 small fish and a small apple snail, but their staying in their tank until the big ones been up and running for about a week or so.

They are a small ryukin fantail, about 1 inch long (named Cheese), another ryukin fantail thats 2 inches long (named Pablo), a 2 inch pearlscale (named Hector), and a fantail thats 1.8 inches long (named Cliff). The snails name is Slayer, but he's only been a recent addition to the tank, and im also wondering how all of them would cope witht he stress of moving tank.

I am thinking of using my tank i have now as a quarantine one so they will be able to enter my new tank after a few weeks or so, and im wondering what i should be on the lookout for other then, eg fin rot, ich, and other common diseases.

What would be some good fish to go with the ones i have at the moment? they are only small, and im thinking some schooling fish would be nice too, but all i know about them is white clouds are good, because a friend has some in his tank.

I am thinking of buying a crowned pearlscale to go with them, but im worrying because their over 3 inches in lengh at the only shop in my entire area to get them, a new store has opened up in yarraville and they have 100s of types of fish, ranging from common goldfish, all types of fancys you can imagine all the way into sea horses and other exotic saltwater reef fish... so if you can suggest anyhting, im sure i can get it their =P

Oh, and im gonna try and post some pics of a goldfish me and my friend brought together :):newfish

we paid half each ($30 australian), and its in his aquarium (the tanks 400 gallons), its a blackmoor, but its huge, 27cm long, and with 2 hands, it still cant fit around him =P... needless to say we named him Andre the giant :) We got him off a old lady down the street who couldnt fit him in her tank anymore (20 gallons), and he's been in great condition ever since she brought him a few years ago :)

Looking forward to some suggestions about the new tank :)

cheers, Ricky

Hi Pearlscales for ever and Welcome to kokos :exactly !

It sounds like you've got a big adventure ahead :) , that is a huge size tank and will be an awesome home for fish and especially suitable for the enormous black moor that you say you can't fit 2 hands around- wow -I know everyone here and me too would love to see a pic of that moor .. Sounds beautiful.

It isn't usually recommended to keep tropical fish and goldies together but I recommend you go over and read some of the info in the tropical/other fish section to understand exactly why. I know there are people that do out there but it isn't recommended at kokos.

When you set up the new tank you will have to transfer all the media from your filter to kickstart the new cycle but it will not be enough so you will have to be prepared to go through the cycling process with the new tank. This can take a month or more. If you have any Q's about that ask again and/or read about it on the homepage here.

Your fish are going to love all that space. I would love to see a pic of the tank too.

Guest PearlScales4ever

Thanks, yea im wondering myself why i got such a big tank :P ... i can see all my little fishies swiming around saying to each other *oh great, theirs another area to explore :o .. we'll just have to leave it for tomorrow then*

I'll try and get the images of the blackmoor next weekend, when i see my mate, and i'll try and post them then, if not :( it'll have to be the week after or so:unsure:

Also, does anyone know how big my fish will grow?...

2 Ryukins

1 Regular Fantail

1 Pearlscale

???

Er, Ricky, tell me if I'm wrong, but r u sure it's 240 gallons? U said in your other thread that you were going to get a 200 litre-tank (about 50 gallons). 240 gallons is about 900 litres, and that's a huuuuge tank. Can u post the tank dimensions, mate?

Just making sure.

Guest PearlScales4ever

yea, i knew i was gonna get one that was like 200 litres, but this one was an ex-snake enclosure one of my dads mates had, be brought it for an indoor tropical aquarium and neevr got around to it, prefering a snake, and he had it sitting in his shed for years since his snake died, so we got it for $250, and since then he's cleaned it out for me, and were removing all traces of anything that could be from the snakes years ago :)

i'll try to get dimensions, but i havent even got the tank at my place yet :( where trying to get a way to move it here

when i get the dimensions, i'll send to you mate, but from what i was told it was roughly 240 gallons it could hold, and from what i see, thats like easily 5 times the size of the one i was origionally gonna get from the local pet store who wanted like $400 for that :P

The good thing is its not just gonna be my tank, it'll go in the living room ontop of the bar, so it will be a family tank :)

Guest PearlScales4ever

I rang him just then, just for you d-golem :P

he said it was 96 x 24 x 24 tall... im not sure if that adds up to 240 gallons, so if i need to be corrected, then sorry, my bad :(

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question.

In such a big tank, how would you do water changes? Because i was told to do at least a 20% water change a week. So would you just fill up buckets of water to dump in there and pump the water out, or are you planning on setting up something that automatically takes out water and puts new water in? Because that seems like a lot of water to be changing doesn't it?

PearlScales4ever, you are my hero. I wish my parents would let me have a tank that big. You must show us lots of pictures once you get it up and running. :)

Archived