A New Start

Fefe

ok Guys,

I am planing to buy a new Marine water fish tank of 100 gal i have few questions ( Its really expensive to setup):

1- How do you clean the sand on the bottom of tank how do you vacume the sand if the tank have lots of rocks and coral it must be be extremly difficult!.

2-how much water should be changed per week?

3-if i add external filter will the salt water damage the plastic parts inside the filter?

4-how do u masure that the salt in water is enough?

5-does marrine fish have samll life?

Love

Rafaqat

Guest chris345

well i have a 10 gallon nano with a marron clown and 2 damsel and that cost me alot!!!!!!! at least 200.(with out skimmer) noting will really happen to the plastic cause i have a plastic filter too. i wouldnt reccomend a 100 gal for a begginer but u could get a 50 gallon. that would be best. vacuming the sand isnt a good idea for a huge tank(especially with coral) get some inverts to clean it up for u .(a lot of them) like cleaner shrip and crabs and snails) for the salt u need half a cup a gallon. and a hydrometer to test the salt water. (u have to have a hydrometer) also u need a test kit. and u need to cycle it for at least 1 month. put some live rock in and wait 1 month to let the cycle finish. u need a good protein skimmer for a 100 gal. and make sure ur fish are compatibile.marine fish do have short lives at least 5 yrs not like goldfish. 10 percent of the water should be changed per wekk . u should scoop the sand on the bottom of the tank with a net. then put new sand on top. take the fish out first.(i think thats only good if u have a 20 gallon but u could try to clean the sand like that)

Edited by chris345

Guest chris345

Its Loooooooooooooooot of work? Ppl here say that you cant add salt (Normal) ?

wat!!!!!!you need instant ocean salt not regular salt that will kill ur fish!!!!!!!!!its a lot of work!!!! i hope you know that saltwater fish are harder to kepp than fresh water! reef man can help you hes an expert in saltwater fish. if you are not ready then i would just get a fresh water tank. but if you have a 110 gallon its pretty easy to keep. (the bigger the easier to keep.)(the smaller the harder)my 10 gallon nano is really hard to keep!!!i have to do water changes every month!!!!!!!!1

Fefe,

Saltwater is just about as easy as your freshwater. You would want to use a salt from a pet store. It has trace elements and nutrients that your tank will need. Acrylic or glass, it doesn't matter. It is what you prefer. Glass has a slight tint of green and acrylic is clear. Acrylic scratches easy, glass doesn't.

1: For the cleaning of the sand you put powerheads to blow the detritus up so that it will be pulled out of the water by the skimmer or the mechanical filtration. You can gravel vac but you tend to get a lot of gravel in the hose. The sand is small enough to get caught up in the siphon and pulled out the gravel vac.

2: The water should be changed in accordance with type of tank. Fish only and not heavily stocked you can get by once a month. Reef, you would want to do weekly 10-15% changes. If you test your water regulary you will know when it is time to change water. (Check your local pet store, some do water testing for free.)

3:The water will not damage the plastic parts inside your external filter. Just keep an eye on your cleanings of that filter. The wastes produce alot of phosphates that accumulate in that filter.

4:They sell hydrometers at the pet stores to tell you what the salt water level is in your tank. They are usually under 20 bucks and they are accurate enough for your tank.

5:Marine fish can live for many years. In the ocean they can have shorter lives because of predators, but in the aquarium they can live 10+(I had a blue tang once that was 9 years old. She had grown from the size of a quarter to about 9 inches. She died when we had a very long power outage, and she got too cold.)

If you have anymore guestions I would be glad to help. I work in a pet store and have these questions all the time.

JD

ok Guys,

I am planing to buy a new Marine water fish tank of 100 gal i have few questions ( Its really expensive to setup):

1- How do you clean the sand on the bottom of tank how do you vacume the sand if the tank have lots of rocks and coral it must be be extremly difficult!.

2-how much water should be changed per week?

3-if i add external filter will the salt water damage the plastic parts inside the filter?

4-how do u masure that the salt in water is enough?

5-does marrine fish have samll life?

Love

Rafaqat

A 100 gal is a great tank.... Power heads and good water movement will keep waist in the water column to be pulled out by the skimmer etc... You will start to see critters in the sand bed that will do the cleaning for you... I would do a 10% water change once a week...Live rock and power heads with a protein skimmer is what you need for filtration... Use a salt mix, like Instant Ocean and a hydrometer....

Thank you guys for Buckup...i m really looking forward to get this tank setup... i will ask more question... as this tank (equipment without fish ) will cost about $500.00

Guest chris345

only 500!!!! a onehundred with a good skimmer and filter and everything cost about 1000 dollar 500 dollars is a good deal for a 100 gal can you tell me where youre buying your tank i might want to get a bigger since a nano 10 gal is so hard to take care off!!!! i might get a 50 gallon.

Edited by chris345

Guest Triple Skeet

Ive got a 95 gallon salt water reef tank.

I do about a 20 gallon wtare change montly and havent had any problems.

If your in Pakistan I have no idea how much itll cost you to set up but Ive probably put out about 5 grand on this tank so far between everything I have.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...