20 Gallon Long Planted

Sushi67

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Oreo

Hmm. I was posting in the tropical section but I guess this a better place. Anyways A little over a month ago I completely ripped apart my tank and put live plants and flourite in it. Why? Because I like live plants. They are just so much prettier and they change!! Plastic plants never change, just collect algae.

Here is was a January 6th.

0.png

January 9th.

000_1513.png

January 13th.

000_1734.png

February 15th.

000_2817.png

000_2818.png

Edit: wrong photo.

Your tank is beautiful, Sushi!

I like how you did the planting.

• 1 month later...

I ripped apart this tank again. All the plants, except the ocelot, are in buckets and bowls. I cleaned this tank and added some sand to it. I have a shipment of plants coming in next week. I might be selling my large ocelot. It one of my favorite plants but its out grown the tank. It has about 25 leaves that are all about 7 inches long. Before selling I'm going to see if the blyxa japonica I order survives shipping and acclamation, if it dies then my ocelot will remain the center piece.

I picked up some new shrimp! I was out buying 500 crickets for my frog and BD. This store had these blue shrimp call "blueberry" shrimp. I've yet to properly ID them. If you know, please tell! I also got a red one. The glass shrimp weren't too happy but after some food they calmed down.

Waiting for HC...

100_2453.jpg

One of the blues.

100_2454.jpg

This is the red one.

100_2449.jpg

Fishcrazy- I would say about 2 shrimp per gallon, in a tank above 10 gallons I think you could get away with about 3-4 shrimp per gallon. They aren't messy at all. I would pay to watch shrimp too. They should make a shrimp zoo!

Peaches- Yup. Shultz and flourite mix in the back with extremely thin( 1/2") layer under the sand.

bluiis- thank you. :heart

Update- I took the ocelot out and put in it the goldie tank since it is to tough for the goldies to eat. I took my left over heteranthera zosterifolia and planted it in that corner. I also put some elocharis acicularis in the right front corner. The back right corner will have blyxa japonica and near the back center will be hydrocotyle verticillata. I hope to get hemianthus callitrichoides to grow all along the front.

I paid for my plants, I'm now waiting for them to be shipped. :krazy:

Nice specimens Sushi67 :)

I also house shrimps - Cherries, CRS, Bumble-bees and Blacks and all are very prolific. Personally I would remove the Apple snail since it eats plants :( Some nice red Ramshorns would be more appropriate; just control their population!

Well done ;)

Nice specimens Sushi67 :)

I also house shrimps - Cherries, CRS, Bumble-bees and Blacks and all are very prolific. Personally I would remove the Apple snail since it eats plants :( Some nice red Ramshorns would be more appropriate; just control their population!

Well done ;)

My brigs have never eaten plants. I know canas do, but you can't buy those in California. The snails are out right now until the tank parameter reach stability. I've been thinking about getting a small plant friendly pleco but haven't decided since snails are so much easier to find.

The shrimp are fine. Plants came in good condition. Blyxa was a little melted but has bounced back nicely.

These are pictures form June 15th.

Hemostat and HC.

102_2737.jpg

Tank and tons of pots.

102_2736.jpg

Messy. Took awhile to clean out.

102_2739.jpg

Cool. Lovely color your new plants. What are they again? Also love that blue shrimp - do you have more like him?

Cool. Lovely color your new plants. What are they again? Also love that blue shrimp - do you have more like him?

New plants:

Blyxa japonica is a bush light grass plant.

Hemianthus callitrichoides is the foreground.

Hydrocotyle verticillata looks like little water lilly leaves.

Other Plant in the tank:

Elocharis acicularis is dwarf hair grass.

Heteranthera zosterifolia fragile stem plant.

I have 3 of the blue ones and one red shrimp. Some look like females so I'm hoping for babies. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

haha! Seems like every time this tank starts taking off I change it. Everything has been moved to my 10 gallon since taking care of the 20 with DIY stuff is becoming difficult. Hope my HC doesn't melt. Used gravel, water and filter from the 20 gallon so I'm hoping the cycle sticks.

I'll try to get pictures tomorrow, even though it doesn't look very pretty at the moment.