20 Gallon Long Planted

Sushi67

Hmm. I was posting in the tropical section but I guess this a better place. Anyways A little over a month ago I completely ripped apart my tank and put live plants and flourite in it. Why? Because I like live plants. They are just so much prettier and they change!! Plastic plants never change, just collect algae.

Here is was a January 6th.

0.png

January 9th.

000_1513.png

January 13th.

000_1734.png

February 15th.

000_2817.png

000_2818.png

Edit: wrong photo.

Edited by Sushi67

Info.

20 gallon long.

Flourite Substrate.

CO2 DIY

Flourish Iron.

Flourish Plant Tabs.

Plant: Stargrass, riccia, amazon sword, ozelot, dwarf hair grass, water wisteria, duckweed,

Animals: ghost shrimp and an apple snail

Lights: 40 watt desk lamp, 60 watt clamp light, 20 watt aquarium hood

Ozelot.

000_2852.png

Riccia.

000_2846.png

Baby Amazon Sword.

000_2920-1.png

Brand New Baby Amazon Sword.

000_2904.png

Before picture of my baby amazon sword and riccia.

babysword.png

Snail on some Wisteria.

000_2939.png

Edited by Sushi67

Thanks everyone. It still has a lot of maturing it needs to do. Most likely I will be splitting up the riccia and attaching it to sandstone/slate rocks tomorrow. My plan was to have half the tank riccia but most of it died when shipped. Now I'm really good at growing it so I feel confident in splitting it up now.

BTW- I also have crypt wendtii in this tank. 3 are planted around the ocelot. I always forget about them because they blend in.

@Cattrix- Shrimp are wonderful creatures. You should get them. One day I hope to get amano shrimp when all my ghosties pass away. I like them because they can't breed like cherries, but I might stick to ghosties since they have stolen my heart.

@dfernandez77- The sunkist cherry limeade was for me while I was cleaning tanks. lol. In the back of that same picture there is a Gatorade bottle with a tube coming out of it. That is my DIY yeast CO2. Its hidden behind the tank now. I just had it out in the open when I first set it up. Also there is a soda bottle(use to be a 7up bottle) on the left side of the picture, in the front of the tank. I used to use it but its harder to hide and the Gatorade bottle has always worked flawlessly for me. Its on my 10 gallon until the yeast dies.

Those pics of the shrimp are excellent Sushi! I've never seen a pregnant one- fascinating..have they hatched- the babies? Awesome. Your tank and the care you put in for your plants and creatures is always perfect. The Amazon sword is beautiful :)

Are amano shrimp the red and white striped-ish ones? They are so cute. I often see them out here. I used to have a couple of the ones you have but they sadly didn't live very long with me.

Great job! Your tank looks great now and I am sure will look amazing by Summer. I guess you got quite a workout rinsing the fluorite :D What did you endup using to hold the riccia? Could you share your knowledge on succesful propagation of riccia?

@Trinket-Ghost shrimp eggs only have a 10% chance of hatching in freshwater. Some people just get surprised and count more babies than they use to have. The babies need brackish water to go through their stages. Amano shrimp are also clearish with blueish black spots.

Amano_Shrimp.jpg

What you are talking about sounds like tigers, CRS, RCS, or some other shrimp. Can't tell without pictures.

@Kingyo- I washed my flourite for about an hour and then put it in the tank. I got this.

0000.png

About 3 hours later and 500 buckets in and out, it cleared up enough to were I was happy enough to wait for the dust to settle.

The riccia is on my driftwood with fishing line. Its just temp. I just finished chipping up a huge flagstone and now I'm going to attach some of it to that with vegi nets and fishing line. To get riccia to grow fast you need co2! What would take 2 weeks will pop up in 2 days if you use co2. I also dose a lot of Fe and K. When I had it floating, it was being out competed by thread algae, once I put in on the drift wood the shrimp and apple snail got rid of the algae and it was able to grow really well.

The tank no longer looks like the above pictures. I just pulled all the plants out and rescaped the tank. Took 2 hours. I'm happy with it. My original theme was New Zealand mountains buuuuuut my riccia almost died when shipped so I've been trying to grow enough plants to scape the tank. Now I was inspired by Borneo and The Amazon. Expect pictures tomorrow, once everything settles and clears up.

• 1 month later...

Oh my! I haven't updated in a long time!

Mr. White Shrimp died 2 weeks ago. :( But 2 of my other shrimps turned whiteish. Still not as white as Mr. White Shrimp. Good news is that I've spotted many baby ghost shrimp. They are really cute. After I pulled the plants out and rearranged, I did it again. lol. I added shultz aquatic plant soil so that my dwarf hair grass has better room to grow.

My riccia grew out of control! I have about 4-5 cups worth but I took it all out of the 20 gallon. I have 2 cups worth in a vase growing on my window sill and 3-4 cups inside my 2.5 gallon.

Here is what the 20 gallon looks like right now. Hasn't had co2 for 2 weeks because I've been too lazy to mix up a batch. I'm waiting for the hair grass to grow in a nice lawn.

Inhabitants

2 female betta fry

1 bullfrog tad pole

Unknown amount of ghost shrimp (started a s 20 but they are breeding like crazy)

1 apple snail

100_0800.png

Here is my 2.5 gallon sort of planted tank. I just throw things in here that I don't use in the 20 gallon. It gets no co2 and not much attention. I just trimmed the plants 2 days ago. it was really overgrown.

Inhabitants

1 betta

2 ghost shrimp (one female and one male)

1 apple snail

100_0836.png

Woo-hoo! One my my females just gave birth. About 10 little softies wiggling and jump around in the water column. I've yet to witness actual just hatch babies until now, I normally spot the babes walking around the tank. Yesterday I also got to see a shrimp molt( I also normally only see old shells instead of the actual event). It was so neat!! Poor thing was soft though so he just wiggled around for 5 minutes and then joined the others in eating an algae wafer.

It looks Beautiful!! Are you sure this is the same tank? :o:rolleyes:

wow, all that growth in 2 months :yikes

congrats on the new babies!

Haha! Thats nothing. I ignored this tank for about a month and the plants grew so thick and I got a greenwater outbreak. I have 3 five gallon buckets full of plants that just don't fit in my 10 gallon, 2.5 gallon, or glass vase. My cats like drinking out of the buckets. :rolleyes:

I just fixed the co2 on this tank. I hope I get the stargrass to fill in some more( saw lots of pearling when I got home from school) so I can remove the wisteria. It just gets WAY to big. My ocelot(right corner) is huge but not tall, which is why I like it. I almost bought a baby ocelot at the LFS the other day but the employees looked busy so I just finished getting the stuff on my list and left. Although, an ocelot would look great in my 10 gallon sword farm/QT tank.

I don't have pictures of when I tested the grapevine driftwood. Haha- it rotted and I'm fairly positive it is what cause my green water. It was pretty though. It was great looking while it lasted. I'm done with the whole driftwood thing. Cost WAY to much. I might try some slate later on, but for now I'm happy.

Today I found some rather beautiful shrimps in my tank. They look sort of like Mr. White Shrimp but more like a milky beige. There is one small male ghost shrimp that is a pretty white, I'm hoping to get his color to intensify.