Fin

Guest bigtexan

Guest bigtexan

I have had this goldfish for about 8 years. About 2 weeks ago I added 2 algae eaters to the tank (10 Gallon). Everything was fine until about a week ago I checked the tank on the way to make coffee and the algae eaters had attached themselves to the tail fin and most of it is gone. They ate it!! Now of course it can't really swin, just scoots along the bottom of the tank, I manage to get it to eat but now the back end is bending toward the body. Anyone know if the fin will regenerate, if not any suggestions?

Guest bigtexan

About a week ago I got up and check the tank as usual and the algae eater was attached to the goldfish tail fin. It ate nearly all of it. Fish is on bottom of tank on side, unable to swim other than to scoot on its side. I move him to his stomach and drop sinking pellets in the tank and he eats them, as soon as I let him go he is right back to his side, also remaining tail fin and back of fish is bending toward his body. He scoots quite vigorusly along the bottom.

Hi bigtexan. I'm sorry to hear about your fish and the algae eater accident. Actually this same thing happened to one of my tank- bottom- bound fish recently. The fin has completely grown back but is still tipped black.

You will be asked to post your water params in order to get advice here. That is pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings.

The most important thing at this point is to remove your fish quickly because this will happen again. Sick and immobile fish are easy targets for algae eaters to attach to. Next time the algae eater (is it a pleco?) may do more severe damage.

Are you able to set up another tank for the fish or is there another tank you can put her in? She will need perfect water for some time to aid her recovery. Has she been unable to swim for long? Please try to answer the Q's in the box above :) .

Yes as Trinket said, we will need you to answer all the questions above. As well as moving the algae eater.

Depeding on the severity it is a chance it can grow back, but you have to worry about infection. Pristine water conditions are going to give the fish the best shot. Along with removing the eater.

Hello and welcome. I see that you have 2 threads running with the same problem. It is best to only have 1, so I will merge your threads together and let's keep all replies in that thread.

Thanks.

Archived