Dojo + Filter = Bad

What is appropriate first aid/palliative care for a dojo loach that had a nasty run-in with a filter impeller? I found her in the intake tube, head above water and dumped her back into the tank.... she's sitting on her back, breathing heavily but steadily. If another fish brushes her, she'll startle and move. There's an obvious bump, and after that point there is little to no movement. Any suggestions greately appreciated.

btw, I'm sure my water's within normal, I just don't know what to do with what's obviously a big injury.

Missy I am sorry to hear about the incident. While I can't offer any advice, I am going to move your thread to the tropics section so that the experts that are familar with them can help you.

Obviously it is a good idea to post your params so they can give more accurate advice, or help you fine tune things.

I wish you luck with healing.

pH 7.2, 6.4 out of the tap.

NitrIte 0

NitrAte 10

Tank 50G

I change a quarter to half the water every week

decor - large river rocks, a conch shell, and some plastic pvc type pipe

The rest, I don't have a test kit for...

All I could think to do this morning (she's still alive!!) was put her in a separate bucket so that my goldfish and rather large snails wouldn't bother her. (I've got four fancies of medium size and four golf ball sized mysery snails, as well as another loach in a 50 gallon)

She seems unable to move her entire back half, her caudal fin is reduced to what looks like grey hairs and her sides look like a cooked fish fillet.... kinda white with that >>>>>> pattern.

I want to do all I can to help Zoid. She's my pet, and my hubby's really attached to her. I think I have a pair bond happening with the other loach too... Once I put her back in the main tank immediately following the incident, he swam right up to her and stayed, even until I isolated her this morning. Man alive, I wish I had that on tape...

For now I hope she pulls through. Oh tropical gurus, what knowledge can you share?

Archived