Worlds Largest Goldfish

Guest Wayneo

Hi

I'm not a goldfish expert, but I bought this property in New Zealand 5 years ago. It has a 1 acre pond, and I have not seen anything in there unil last weekend, when I saw a .5 metre goldfish. I managed to take some photo's of it. I have put him up for sale on the New Zealand auction site "Trademe.co.nz" for a laugh to see if anyone was interested in him. I've already had the radio station calling. The previous owner of this property released goldfish into the pond more than 20 years ago. No one has see anything until now. I have come to the conclusion he is a pearlscale from info I have read on the net. The world record for biggest gold fish is about 18 inches (47cm), this guy is way over 50cm. Go to the following url if you are interested: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=88384073 I am wondering if he maybe the biggest ever? Appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Looks big - but extremely unusual shape.The fish looks deformed to me but I suppose it just possibly could be a very old pearlscale mix.

Yes well to me it dont look like a true pearlscale. They are as round as they are long like an oragne. Maybe he is a mix. Does he swim ok? See the last picture in my sig... that is a pearlscale. Like I said someone smarter then me well come along. BTW anyway you can get a clearer picture?

Sure is a big fish. When did you see him first?

Wayneo, that 47cm record is for biggest double-tailed goldfish. Single-tailed goldfish is always bigger than double-tailed, and 50+cm is not unusual. Your fish is a single-tailed. It's a big fish, but not record-breaking.

Now, about what kind of goldfish Hercules is. I think he's a common goldfish, and a very sick one. See the last photo? The Hercules' scales seems to be very pineconed, and that's a sure sign of a disease called dropsy, which is usually fatal. The second last pic looks like pearlscale, but the last pic is almost certain to be dropsy.

If you can catch Hercules, or at least sheperd him to shallower water to be able to take a good clear pic of him, we'll be able to identify him without doubt. But my initial reaction is a dropsied common goldfish.

Also, browsing through the photos it looks like it only has a single tail. And in the last photo it looks more like the fish has dropsy than pearlscales to me, although it could just be distortion from the water, etc. In any case, I would definitely think not a "purebred" pearscale, but it could be a hybrid? Or it could be a chance mutation?

A clearer photo would definitely help, but, as Hidr has said, maybe someone with more knowledge can tell you something more definite. ^^

Wayneo, that 47cm record is for biggest double-tailed goldfish. Single-tailed goldfish is always bigger than double-tailed, and 50+cm is not unusual. Your fish is a single-tailed. It's a big fish, but not record-breaking.

Now, about what kind of goldfish Hercules is. I think he's a common goldfish, and a very sick one. See the last photo? The Hercules' scales seems to be very pineconed, and that's a sure sign of a disease called dropsy, which is usually fatal. The second last pic looks like pearlscale, but the last pic is almost certain to be dropsy.

If you can catch Hercules, or at least sheperd him to shallower water to be able to take a good clear pic of him, we'll be able to identify him without doubt. But my initial reaction is a dropsied common goldfish.

*nods in agreement*

That is what I was thinking of when I saw the fish. Looks very much like a dropsied common to me.

Sort of off topic, but I am horrified by the person who posted you should get biosecurity to destroy the fish... what?! "noxious koi carp"? Getting off the soapbox now...

The fish is certainly a weird shape, but then again, they probably looked a lot different 20 years ago - lots of selective breeding has happened since then.

For the dropsy experts, is this something that is common in old age? Maybe he doesn't have a disease and is just coming to the end of his long and happy life in the big pond?

hi everyone to me the last second pic look like a super fat carp or koi (JOKING) haha anyway yes.. as we can all see it is not a pearl scale at all, or at least it could have been a mix, but I still think it does take some shape of a koi. whatever it is it also does look really sick, maybe if you could get a tank or something big enough to house it temporarily, you should, and put in some of the pond water and mix some clean water with it too so it would at least feel slightly better. At the same time you could take a better pic of it.

About catching it maybe you could use some baits such as bread? (not too much) and lure it close enough so you could reach it.

Try your best to catch it if you can! so it would also be easier for us to id it for you! XD

Yeah, I highly doubt thats a pearlscale...it looks like a dropsied common. Pearlies have double tails, that guy obviously has a single tail.

Wayneo, is it possible you could get a better picture of the fish's scales? The water is a little murky so it's hard to tell if those are pearl scales or dropsied scales.

Pearlscales should appear as if they have a large white bump on each scale. Dropsy causes the scales to actually lift AWAY from the skin, causing a pinecone effect.

Sort of off topic, but I am horrified by the person who posted you should get biosecurity to destroy the fish... what?! "noxious koi carp"?

Looks like that post has been deleted or edited now, but in some areas koi are an extremely dangerous pest to native fish/habitats and serious fines exist if you are found with one. But to me it doesn't really look like a koi, more a common..

C'mon.... I don't think Hercules lived 20 years in a feral pond situation and suddenly developed "dropsy" just about the time he was redicsovered by humans. Dropsy is very uncommon in Commons, by the way. Not like it is in fancies whose digestive tracts have been compressed and defunked by selective breeding. I think this is probably just a very old, fat Common. As far as the variations in scales goes, it is probably just that. Perhaps this is what scales look like on a Common Goldie that has lived 20+ years in a feral pond situation in NewZealand. IMHO the shame in this scenario is that he's going to be uprooted. If he were mine, I wouldn't sell him or otherwise bother him in any way. He's earned his peace, right where he is. Just take pictures and sell those. :)

C'mon.... I don't think Hercules lived 20 years in a feral pond situation and suddenly developed "dropsy" just about the time he was redicsovered by humans. Dropsy is very uncommon in Commons, by the way. Not like it is in fancies whose digestive tracts have been compressed and defunked by selective breeding. I think this is probably just a very old, fat Common. As far as the variations in scales goes, it is probably just that. Perhaps this is what scales look like on a Common Goldie that has lived 20+ years in a feral pond situation in NewZealand. IMHO the shame in this scenario is that he's going to be uprooted. If he were mine, I wouldn't sell him or otherwise bother him in any way. He's earned his peace, right where he is. Just take pictures and sell those. :)

I think it's still worth looking into. Some nice clear pictures will reveal the truth.

I feel sad at the thought of the poor old fish being sold. He has this nice peaceful pond and then someone is going to catch him and put him in who knows what kind of living condition. If he were mine I would let him live out his life in the pond. I'm sure he has a wonderful life there. Just my opinion.

I just noticed something. In the first pic, you can see that the head is pretty wide around the gills. It looks as though the body and the head actually match each other. Is this normal with dropsy?

Edit: Yes, I completely agree! If he has been living for 20 years (Which is pretty good!) with no care in the pond, then what's the point in re-locating him?

Hi All,

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Up until I put Hercules on the auction site, everyone I had showed the photo to said he was most likely a 'Koi Carp' - declared noxious in NZ. Based on this, I thought it would be a bit of a laugh to bit him up for sale on-line. Now that it turns out he is not a Koi, and just a real old (huge) goldfish, I regret putting him up for sale. I have some promises made to people, so I'm now between a rock and a hard place.

Any suggestions?

I'd really like the person who wins the auction to catch him, measure him,weight him, and put him back.

Thanks,

Wayne

I believe if you politely (or something like that) explain to the bidders, they would understand too, as I think any fish lover would know it be best not to remove a fish since it is not disturbing anyone and is living peacefully.

I am certain if you contact the bidder(s) and say that you have been advised that moving this fish fromthe pond he has lived in for so long would be a bad idea they would not hold you to the deal. No one would want to purchase a fish under those circumstances.

Leave him to whatever time he has in his peaceful pond.

(What a neat thing to find such a huge fish!)

Archived