Mojo Sick?

Hidr

Not sure whats going on with Mojo. Found him this morning between my teracota pot and the side of the tank upsidedown. May of been stuck. Thought he was dead but he swam away when I moved the pot. He is eating but swimming slow. He is swollen on just one side with a couple redscales. And some of the scales on that side stick out but not all of them. The other side of him looks normal. He had none of this last night when I went to bed. I can QT but woudl rather not cause I dont really have room to set that up but well if I have to in the middle of the living floor.

Amonia 0

Nitrite and Nitrate lvl according to color chart safe.

My ph is always low in all my tanks about 6.8 has been that way forever I stopped long ago tring to change it. It comes out of the tap 7.6ish but does not retain that in the tanks.

GH is about 75 [soft]

KH is Ideal according to color chart.

This tank has been up for about 10 months.

I have three filters. A renu xp3, a 400gph HOB and a 300gph HOB. Both the HOB have been there from the start. The Renu was added last week to replace the other 300 hob that I hated.

I do about a 20 to 30 percent water change ever 5 days no less then once a week. Once a month I do a 50percent that is due today.

I have 6 goldfish in my 75g fish tank. The biggest is about 7 inches the Mojo is about 5 the rest are all around 4 inches.

I use wardley chlor out all I have ever used on this tank. No medications at this time cause I really think its an injury but wanted your opion. I added a new fish little over a week ago he is fine.

I feed progold flakes and pellets, frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp. About once a week a zuchini mostly for the BN but the goldfish eat on them too.

I usally keep the temp at around 76ish but we are having a cold snap so it is down to about 72 the past few days. Here is a picture of the bad side. His color is good and he has no torn fins and his eyes are normal size just that side is swollen looking. The top area is where the raised scales are near the red scales. the bottom part are not really raised but metilic scales.

Sickfish007.jpg

Poor Mojo :(

Was the area where he got trapped confined? Or would you say there was room for him to get out easily? I'm trying to work out if mojo is a healthy fish who unfortunately got stuck or if the swelling and redness is a result of an infection.

Also, do you have a heater or any medicated food on hand?

yes I have a heater in the tank I could bump it up.

Not real sure on the traped spot he was in. No one has been stuck there before but that pot gets moved everytime I change water. He/she has been doing fine. So far today. Not acting weird and did eat this morning.

However he/she is doing a lot of nose pointing down when not in motion.

Nope no medicated food but am ordering some now. Need more progold anyway.

Ok the swelling is worse and still on that one side. And we seem to have some skin sloothing off where the red scales are. His eyes are still normal size and color is still good.

So I moved a Betta out of a five gallon and put Mojo into the five gallon. My husband is on the way to the store to get that salt. I have medicated food on order that wont be here untill the 21.

Ill feed Mojo nothing but my best foods untill it gets here and only once a day and do a daily water change. The Betta well get daily water changes too.

I am still not sure what this is, cause its just on one side, but Im afraid to leave him in with the other fish with the swelling appearing to be worse. They were not bothering him but I dont want any of them getting sick. When the medicated food gets here they well get some too.

I ordered the stuff Goldfish Connetion sells for dropsy aslo and well start Mojo on that.

This is all I know to do. I still hope its just an injury but Im just not sure.

I'd say there's one of two possible reasons you may be seeing the pineconing on one side only and the first reason could be due to an infection that was present before finding him but this assumes he never got stuck. I'm just concerned about the red scales plus, if he was stuck, I would think his exterior would show some evidence ie. white slime coat hanging off his body that may appear as fungus..

If he did get stuck, then the second reason may be that he's sustained some internal damage - possibly to the kidneys and this could be what's causing fluid retention and swelling.

With a bit of luck, the medicated food will get there soon and i'm hoping he pulls through this :)

Thanks I thought he was stuck but at this point Im second guessing myself and imanaging the worst. But like I said he has good color and no poped out eyes so just maybe he injured himself.

I just hope it well repair and 222 be my sweet goldfish again and not .....well lets try not to think about that it just makes me :cry1

All I can do is wait and hope he makes it till the stuff gets here. Maybe it well arive early like most of my stuff does.

Mojo is much worse. Several scales have come off on the swollen side and he is not floating upside down and not eating.

I did my water change but if he wont eat I wont be able to get meds into him. Would something like Melafix help him feel better enough to eat? or is it to late now and I need to help him over to rainbow bridge?

Does he hurt? or is he just uncomfortable? I dont want him to hurt if he has no chance of living.

Hi Hidr,I'm sorry about Mojo.

I did want to ask the exact param readings though. You mentioned "Nitrite and Nitrate lvl according to color chart safe. " On a cycled tank,no Nitrite # is a safe # but 0. Also the same thing for Nitrates,what some people deem safe,is not always safe #'s. Safe Nitrates are #'s that read under 20ppms.What test kit are you using?

I think at this point,Melafix isn't going to help,as it's more of an antiseptic that antibiotic.

With the scales dropping off,I am now more inclined to think that he may have gotten stuck afterall.It's hard to say if it was because of a condition that he was suffering from to begin with,or if this is all the results of being stuck. If it was indeed an injury,then a secondary infection could have also set in.The only thing that we can hope here is that his organs were not affected and damaged in any way. :unsure:

Did you bump up the tank temp for him?

If he's not eating,then I would go with the Maracyns as to get something started,as the longer he remains this way the less his chances are. Have you seen him poo any at all since you found him like this?

I think at this point,the only thing you can do is to keep the params perfect,and start a waterborne med since he's not eating right now. A fish off of his food,is not a good sign at all,I'm afraid. :(

I just saw your new post.I'm so sorry that you lost him. :heart

Oh no - you lost him? :cry1

I'm now convinced he got stuck and sustained some damage to his organs. The saddest part about situations like these is there's really nothing any of us can do :(

I'm so sorry he's gone :heart

Archived