Red Cap Sitting At Bottom Of Tank

Guest Rainey1

Guest Rainey1

Following the passing of my Blackmoor, my Red Cap is now sitting at the bottom of the tank. He appears to be developing fin rot. There are red stripes through his tail and fins ( hard to tell if they are new cause hes red and white).

I feed the fish Flakes, there are two comets in the tank. There are roughly 12 Gallons in the tank. Have commenced twice weekly 50% water changes since the death of the blackmoor. Am yet to get hold of the PH and nitrate kits i need.

The fish becomes active if you approach the tank, then returns to the bottom when you move away.

The two comets are very small. The Red Cap is only slightly larger.

The tank has been going for about a month and a half. 2 months prior to restocking the tank it housed a Blue Yabby for 4 years. It was emptied after the Yabby passed and not used till recently.

PH levels were well balanced whilst we had the Yabby.

Wendy

Rainey, have you tested your water for ammonia, nitrites and pH recently? You will need to post this info to get advice from a Mod here.

Meanwhile I strongly suggest you do a 70% temperature and pH matched water change ASAP. This will help your fish greatly. Someone will get to you with more advice soon.

Guest Rainey1

Hello there

Thanks for that. I did the water change as suggested. My PH is 7 (neutral) water hardess is 300pmm Which i am told is good for Canberra water in my suburb. I have medicated the tank with a fin rot medication and the fish appears to be picking up. He has lost some of his tail, but the rot seems to be disappearing from his fins.

I will be going shortly to get the amonia test Kit for the next cycle.

Wendy

Hi Wendy - that test kit is a great idea, especially if you're adding meds to the water. I think the best guideline for adding meds is always test for ammonia and nitrites first because if one or both are present, the meds at best won't do any good or worse, can create further problems. Basically this is because if a tank has both ammonia and nitrites, then alone or together, these will lower the immunity and then adding meds tends to create a toxic soup. So perfect water first and then meds can be added safely :)

Does your redcap have any redness on the body?

When you say finrot, does it appear as though:

- there's a white/grey powdery look to the edges? OR

- there's a clean split(s) running down the fins? OR

- there's redness and the edges are shredding?

How does his poop look? Is it solid in colour?

Please post back soon :)

Guest Rainey1

HI Jen

There was some red tinges on his body, they now appear to be clearing.

He had red stipes that were appearing in his tail, and other fins, the tail was freyed a little. He has lost 2/3 of the top tail fin (he's a fantail). However i gave the second dose of meds today as recommended. He is eating, poop is dark colour, and he swims more actively now... sits on the bottom every now and then but wouldnt say he was overly mopey anymore.

I did a 70% water change and vaccum (actually i did the vacuum thing three times till all the grot off the bottom was gone) prior to the meds and tested the water...

wendy

Archived