Random Question About Male Breeding Behavior

IloveSpaceboy

I know that temperture has something to do with when they decide to breed. But, does the amount of males in a tank affect it too? Mars used to be a little horndog when Spaceboy (also male) was in the tank. Since he died and Mars is now in a tank FULL of girls (I inadvertantly gave him a harem) he doesn't seem interested at all. He also hasn't had his breeding stars for awhile even though the temperture is about the same as it was.

Any ideas on this? I figure that it would make since if it is also affected by the amount of males in the tank because then he would feel like he would need to compete in order for him to become the 'dominate' male and only have him reproduce...does that make sense?

Anyway, this was a random question that I thought about earlier.

Also we're currently experiencing up to 50mph winds and the lights have flickered a couple times. I was wondering if there's anything I can do to prepare my fish to survive the night in case the electricity goes out when I'm asleep.

Koko as well as several other people with great wisdom have reminded me recently that the fish give off pheromones. When the "girls" are ready, they incite the "boys" into action. Not only do goldfish have a dormant period from breeding (regardless of tank temp), it is felt that having males in with the females all the time makes them less interested.

I have been told to have tanks of males and tanks of females. When I want them to breed, I change out water and place them together, then.

As far as prep for lost of electricity - if you live on the plains of Idaho, you will find that those winds and such are very common. When we were there, the best thing I ever did was set up a windmill - (Several, actually) they provided for the whole house - took us off the grid.

For NOW, though, I suggest you draw water and get it sitting, to room temp, etc. That way, if necessary you can change out the water. If you think the storm is really harsh and the potential for losing power is imminent, stop feeding the fish. It will not harm most to fast for a day or two. Less waste in means less waste out - and less to foul stagnant water.

IF you can - change out the water right now - big changes so the tanks are as clean and free of waste as possible.

If the power goes out, drop your media into the water to keep it wet. IF your house is going to get cold, wrap the tanks in towels or blanket to preserve some heat - depending on how cold it gets. Down to the mid 50s and you are ok (Do not feed!), but much below, you will need to worry a bit.

In the future, you should invest in some sort of battery backup - be it a whole house generator, a wind mill, solar panels, or something as simple as a C battery that powers an airpump.

Good luck. I loved those wild winds roaring over the grasses, but they can be scary when you have creatures that depend on you for warmth and life! :)

Thanks Daryl. I'm in an apartment so it's mainly going to end up being a little generator I can run my goldies stuff and not have to worry about anything else.

As far as the breeding question is concerned, thanks for the answer. I'm a biology student so when I have a question I tend to like to think about it, then see if someone knows the answer. It's just my way of getting my mind to rationalize the way it needs too.

Mars I believe is my only boy now. When Spaceboy and him were together they almost constantly had breeding stars. Since Spaceboy passed Mars hasn't had them which is why it raised the question. Thanks for all the info.

Another option you have for only a couple of tanks is to get one of the larger batteries that are sold for electronic equipment. I have backup batteries on about 6 of my tanks that are not capable of going into the generator link. These batteries are commonly sold for computer backup ad such. They actually run a filter/air feature for a number of hours. I have run 6 air pumps, and 9 filters for up to 6 hours on one of them. The fewer items on - the longer time.

You can buy them with various "power". I found some fairly hefty ones at Frys for about $75. @.

The temperature on my tank has been rising these past few days since I posted the question. Mars got his breeding stars today and he has chased Phoenix a few times. Part of me hopes that one day I'll get some little fry from Mars and one of his girls.

Also, something I've noticed on Skittles...it might just be how she's made since she's growing pretty quick. Her right side towards her anal fins looks more swollen/rounded than the other side. I was just curious what this was about and I didn't want to start another topic.

Archived