2 Little Fish, One Big Fish

Guest LilRubyQueen

Guest LilRubyQueen

My older bigger fish doesn't like the two new tiny comet fish that i got from the Mardi Gras Carnivale at school. He's knicking at them in the tank.

Do I do anything?

And can i have these two fish in the same tank with the older one? or will they die?? I put food in the tank and he was acting like it was big competition; he was trying to eat it all before they had a chance to get ANY; even a morsel of food.

also one of the new comet fish just sit at the bottom. Is that because he's comfortable or is that a helath concern?

Ok, that's it. :unsure:

Hello,

Many of the "prize" fish that are given away at carnivals aren't too healthy. Bottom sitting is definitely not a good sign.

Do you still have just the 10 gallon tank? If so, then the problem could be increased ammonia or nitrite levels caused by the addition of the new fish. Is there any way that you could get some more space for your fish, now that you have three?

Guest LilRubyQueen

I had to put the two new comet fish in a bowl because my old big one, Angel isn't eating in his tank. And so aren't the comet fish. lol And plus the two comet fish are too small to be with him anyway, and may be sick (since they're carnivale fish) so I just put them in my old bowl. Oh well, i know bowls are no-no's but for these fish it'll do for now. These fish are soo small they look like baby fish, and may be but i've never seen baby fish so i dont know. they may just be small naturally. lol

Also, the eating habits of angel changed. i have flakes, i put them in the bowl. Ever since before the new addition he'd go up to the surface and happily and eat them. Now the new addition came he just sat there waiting for it to whither down..and so did the two other comet ones. And when i took the other two comet fish out, he continued to sit and let it whither down.

It sounds like your new fish have brought about some type of contaminate to your tank. However, it still isn't fair to the new fish to be tossed into a bowl.

If you cannot care for them, I suggest you rehouse them with another person who can. Put them up for adoption and care for what you already have.

Guest LilRubyQueen

Well i was kind of the savior for these two fish, they were practically giving them away at school and some of the kids were going to see what would happen if they froze them, or do crazy inhumane things with them after they recieved them.

So I "saved" two lol and thought that it'd be a great new addition to the tank since my old one Angel, hasn't had company ever. But it turned out to be a bad "save" I guess.

and i know it isn't fair for them to be tossed into a bowl but i dont knwo if they're sick, and also they were getting chased/knicked at in the tank by my bigger fish, and also they weren't getting any food ( because of the bigger fish & because they sat at the bottom of the tank)

Also something weird showed up, i looked at one of the comet fish and half of his tail is ripped off. HMMMM ::::shrugs:::::

Well i was kind of the savior for these two fish, they were practically giving them away at school and some of the kids were going to see what would happen if they froze them, or do crazy inhumane things with them after they recieved them.

So I "saved" two lol and thought that it'd be a great new addition to the tank since my old one Angel, hasn't had company ever. But it turned out to be a bad "save" I guess.

and i know it isn't fair for them to be tossed into a bowl but i dont knwo if they're sick, and also they were getting chased/knicked at in the tank by my bigger fish, and also they weren't getting any food ( because of the bigger fish & because they sat at the bottom of the tank)

Also something weird showed up, i looked at one of the comet fish and half of his tail is ripped off. HMMMM ::::shrugs:::::

While it's nice that you took them in, not attending to their health-needs is just as bad. They need a home where they have 20-gallons each, filtered water, and regular maintanence. I suggested giving them up for adoption since it appears you've got your hands full with your first fish and are unable to provide something more adequate than a bowl.

It's better for everyone, yourself & the fish, in the long run.

Guest LilRubyQueen

I've come up with the conclusion that the fish whose tail had fell of (Bosgna) has either Finrot/Tailrot or Flukes disease. I've came up with this conclusion after the following symptoms he has:

Remember i told you that when i got him, his tail had been ripped off by something. Well every day after this brown spots has been showing up all over him. And some of his tail and fins are looking kinda bad. Also, there's a brown line right above his mouth, kind of like how people get a milk mustache after they drink milk. Well he has kinda of a 'brown mustache' above his mouth. He's looking really ugly.....

so i took him out the bowl with the other supposedly 'healthy' other comet fish in the bowl and put him in an even smaller rubbermaid tin lol. Sorry people...but I dont want the other fish sick.

So now I feel a little bit better now that i pointed out the healthy from the non-healthy so that my big one Angel didn't get sick if i had kept those comet fish in the tank. I knwo that if i had kept my comet fish in the tank then Angel probably would have been exposed to that and i didn't want that happening.

So now i'm thinking about putting the other comet fish back into the tank now that i pointed out the sick one (Bosgna) but the problem is i dont know if he had caught the stuff Bosgna had. :::sighs::::

HELP!!!!!!!

I've come up with the conclusion that the fish whose tail had fell of (Bosgna) has either Finrot/Tailrot or Flukes disease. I've came up with this conclusion after the following symptoms he has:

Remember i told you that when i got him, his tail had been ripped off by something. Well every day after this brown spots has been showing up all over him. And some of his tail and fins are looking kinda bad. Also, there's a brown line right above his mouth, kind of like how people get a milk mustache after they drink milk. Well he has kinda of a 'brown mustache' above his mouth. He's looking really ugly.....

so i took him out the bowl with the other supposedly 'healthy' other comet fish in the bowl and put him in an even smaller rubbermaid tin lol. Sorry people...but I dont want the other fish sick.

So now I feel a little bit better now that i pointed out the healthy from the non-healthy so that my big one Angel didn't get sick if i had kept those comet fish in the tank. I knwo that if i had kept my comet fish in the tank then Angel probably would have been exposed to that and i didn't want that happening.

So now i'm thinking about putting the other comet fish back into the tank now that i pointed out the sick one (Bosgna) but the problem is i dont know if he had caught the stuff Bosgna had. :::sighs::::

HELP!!!!!!!

Here's a little something from: http://www.petlibrary.com/goldfish/symptoms.htm

Finrot (aka Tailrot) - symptoms - ragged fins, white 'edge' to fin

Skin Flukes - symptoms: fish scrapes against objects, fish becomes mucus covered and colors fade, frayed fins, red areas on skin

I'm not sure about finrot, but if your fish has flukes it can be fairly contagious. You'd have to isolate the fish in adequate housing and complete treatment for them. So although your "healthy fish" may look fine, it's possible he's carrying.

Guest LilRubyQueen

Its very possible he can have finrot/tailrot because it says something about white edges (and he has a white edge on the end of his tail). Says it can be caused by injury, bad water conditions. AND I did put him in a bowl BUT his tail was beginning to hang off even before I got him in the bowl. When i put him in the bowl, the tail just fell off. I dont know why the tip of his tail was falling off; it just was. Maybe because Angel might've knicked at it but that's the only possible reason i can accumilate. I dont remember getting him with his tail hanging off.

So maybe it was injury, maybe it was bad water conditions. Dont know ::shrugs:::

And i think i was right about one thing; isolate him from the others. But the point is I dont have any quaranteen tanks. Money doesn't come growing from my bottom.

And yes, he does have some discoloration & possible frayed fins. Is it possible he may have both flues & finrot/tailrot??

I think it's certainly possible given his current living conditions.

You don't have ANY large containers to put them in? Even a rubbermaid bin can be a good container as long as it's disinfected and rinsed well.

If you really truly feel you can't house these fish, then you really ought to look into finding someone else who can care for them. :(

Archived