Possible Dropsy?

THUNDER

No money now. No medications. Thread about it...

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=57133

Ammonia - Nothing

Nitrite - Nothing

Nitrate - Nothing or Low

PH - 8.0 to 9.0 (maybe higher)

Have not done those testings for several months.

The tank holds 55 gallons.

Filters - 3 Emperor 280, 1 AquaTech 20/40, and 1 Fluval 305.

Water change once a week of 75%. Done last week. Just added about an inch of water yesterday.

4 Goldfish - 1 or 2 inches, I dont know.

I only use Prime to neuterlize Chlorine.

They eat ProGold. Havent gotten to the store for frozen peas yet.

Nothing unusal about them. Was concerned about the eyes of the orange fishy. Some said scales might be sticking out. Not sure. Hard to see for sure thru videos. Maybe curviness make it look like scales sticking out. Not sure. Fishy growing steadily and fatter. Thought would be typical for a Goldfish to be fatteer (body depth). Very active and eating well.

No hospital tank is available. I should've kept the 10 gallons.

Payday is 16 days away. Next month - extremelly tight budget.

Thunder

Thunder, I don't have the qualifications to answer your questions, but maybe you should do a search in the 911 section for dropsy/popeye and see what medications were recommended. I know they always recommend medi-gold food from Goldfish Connection if you can get it, and Maracyn I and II - look up those and see what you find.

Sorry your fish are sick :( Hope you get some help soon!

Tammy

Hi thunder - unfortunately my computer won't let me see the video but if Andrea thinks it looks like dropsy, then I'm convinced.

The best treatment method for this is:

- Firstly and most importantly, try to get your water tested. It'll need to be perfect for treatment to work

- Add 1/8 teaspoon of epsom salt per 5 gallons of water. Predissolve first

- Run a dose of both Maracyn and Maracyn Two together

- Start feeding medicated food. The best one for dropsy is Metromeds from goldfishconnection

- And if it's at all possible, try raising the temp of your tank to 80 and keep it there

I would definitely treat him in a separate tank although you may run into problems with water quality - especially if he's separated without a cycled filter so try to be diligent and increase your waterchanges daily ... or add Prime to detoxify the ammonia. Unfortunately without test kits, you face the problem of having no control over your water quality and any ammonia that's present will just hinder any progress, especially if you're medicating.

So try and get your water tested or even better, there's some excellent master test kits on the market and if you purchase all the tests in one, you save several dollars... Then you could start treatment :)

PS. Maracyn One and Maracyn Two are Mardel Lab products that specifically treat gram negative and gram positive bacteria so together, they're an excellent blanket treatment.

- Add 1/8 teaspoon of epsom salt per 5 gallons of water. Predissolve first

- Run a dose of both Maracyn and Maracyn Two together

Give me links on where to get this. Thanks. I'm not sure if the fish will make it, because GoldfishConnection takes five days to ship. They dont care about offering faster shipping.

Thunder

I agree with Betty - having essential items on hand makes it easier for us to fulfil our responsibility for the fish in our care. That way, if something similar occurs in the future, at least you're equipped to deal with it and your fish will have a better chance at survival.

Trust me, it'll make your life easier :)

Yeah, I'm going to stock on supplies when I can. I was researching on Dropsy and people telling me that Dropsy is deadly. Each day, it would have got worse while I am waiting on supplies. At least he is out of misery.

Thunder

Archived