Am I Over-feeding?

smwilliams

ok, so i have 3 goldies in a 29 gal, as many of you know. I am cycling (still!!!) an my water params are fine given the circumstances. I am using Prime to condition and detoxify so even with the cycle params, my fish should be safe. I do daily or every other day water changes of 50% depending on params. neither ammonia or nitrite have EVER been over .50.

Anyway, my fish have, more often than not, long stringy clear poop that occasionally has some substance to it. the "substance" is usually same color of what they ate. I've fasted 3 days and done pease 3 days, which seemed to help, now it's back to the same. I don't feel like i am overfeeding. on Pea day they get maybe four peas, all cut up tiny tiny. On zucchini day they get one quater sized slice cut up tiny and cooked. On goldfish crumble day they get one pinch. on orange day they get two sections of a slice of orange. on algae wafer day they get two small sized wafers. they typically eat whatever they are given within a minute or two, if they don't have to chew much. all these amounts are for the whole tank, not per fish.

Is this too much? What should I do? they have no other symptoms other than the odd poo. They act fine.

Thanks in advance!

It doesn't sound like you are overfeeding. If you are overfeeding the fish will have long poop attached to them all the time, there will be some leftover food on the tank bottom prob, and the params will quickly get out of line as your bio media struggles to cope. You seem to be doing fine :)

Archived