Great News, And Bad News...

Ranchugirl

Which one you wonna hear first? Oh well, how about the good one?

I got a beautiful, big calico oranda girl today! Ebay of course, what else, and she measures roughly 5-6 inches without tail. Eyes are half covered, and she has cheeks that you wonna pinch all day long. Lets just say if she can run into the glass with her head at any angle, she will never hurt herself. She is a real darling! :heart

The bad news - her bag companion didn't make it. It was a blue oranda, and he died about an hour after he went into the tank. Too bad, because they would have made a nice pair, and some cute babies.

The story was quite adventurous! Their flight from L.A. got delayed for half a day due to a huge storm over Memphis, TN, and the whole thing turned into a 2-day trip instead of overnight. I bugged Fedex numerous times yesterday and today, and after the fish arrived in ALbany, GA, about an hour away from me, and the Fedex girl told me they wouldn't deliver her until 4pm in the afternoon (this was at 10 in the morning), I decided to pick the box up myself. After 2 hours in the car, the fish were in their tank at noon. Boy, what a trip they had, and I am sure that the cold water helped them stay alive as long as they did. They were packaged great, well oxygenated, but they are huge fish, and just use more oxygen than smaller ones. The blue one was in bad shape when I opened the bag, and I first thought he was dead to begin with. But his gills were moving, so I gave it a try. "Walked" him for half an hour over an airstone, but to no use.

So, his girlfriend is all alone in that big 55 gl tank, and wants a friend! Ebay, here I come! Or the local pet store, maybe I run into some "friends" there... :rolleyes:

:( Sorry about the Blue Oranda not making the trip. How horrible. I am sure you tried your hardess to bring him back!

I am glad the other Oranda made it though. They did have a stressful trip, that is such a long time in transit! She sounds like quite the preatty little thing, would love to see some pics. :)

Hey, only Koko can dispense those! :tomuch: I never deserved the Koko sticks before! :D

Darling is sleeping right now - at least the tank is dark. I see her shadow swimming by though, but I don't wonna disturb her. So be patient, woman! :D

I dont understand what you meant by walking it over the airstone? Fish dont get oxygen directly from the air bubbles. Air stones are used for beauty and circulation, especially the action at the surface that disolve oxygen in the water. The best way that I believe would be leaving them both alone with the tank lights off for 24 hours. Better chance of survival. Sorry that happened. If I'm wrong, you can slap me. I hope you find a beautiful mate. I'll get you a link.

http://goldfishnet.com/ItemListings.asp

Auction starts every Wednesday and ends on Sunday. You can immediately buy one without bidding. They have great selection every week. Good luck! ~hugs~

Thunder

Congrats Andrea!! Im sure the calico is just adorable. Too bad about the blue though. :( Ive never had luck with them for some reason. Ive lost every one Ive got! The one I have now and that is thriving isnt staying blue of course. :rolleyes:

Waiting patiently for pics... :heart

Congratulations Andrea. I'm sorry one didn't make it but the calico sounds beautiful. I found a valentine calico too today :)

I dont understand what you meant by walking it over the airstone? Fish dont get oxygen directly from the air bubbles. Air stones are used for beauty and circulation, especially the action at the surface that disolve oxygen in the water.

You are right, Thunder - fish don't get their oxygen from the bubbles. However, if I would have just let him go, he would have floated aimlessly in the tank. I tried it, and he just sank to the bottom, upside down, and got himself stuck to the intake tube a couple of times. Which is pretty amazing, considering how strong those big fish usually are.

So I decided to "walk" him close to the water surface instead, to have him close to any oxygen he might need. He did better afterwards, and wasn't disoriented anymore. However, it didn't help him much.

And yes, KoiGuy, I did get credit from the seller. I wasn't worried about that, he is a good guy to deal with. :)

Andrea, I didn't know you were expecting more babies.

Too bad the blue didn't make it, you know I love them too.

Wow what an adventure, poor things. This storm has taking a toll for sure, I bet you were panicking!

At least one made it and is swimming happily in her new home. Can't wait to see the pictures.

:unsure: Andrea,I just saw this and couldn't believe what those poor fish had gone through.It's awful that you lost the Blue Oranda.They're one of my favorite fish. :heart Hopefully the other will make a full recovery in no time. And she is a beauty for sure! :heart

That is the fear every time a fish is shipped! I worry sooooo much about the weather and traffic and timing. I worry about the water and the "idiot" delivery man who throws fish boxes....

I am glad that the calico made it through.

Walking a fish does not frighten them. They are upright and moving through the water - in a fashion they prefer. They have water moving through their gills. That is good.

In general, all the fish I have walked have been very relaxed and respond as well as they can. We once team walked a koi for over 12 hours - it survived. I have walked fish myself for many hours - about 1/2 of them have made it. I am sooooo sorry that your blue did not make it. It was not through lack of trying or inappropriate actions.

:hug:heart

:) How is the big girl doing today Andrea? Hope she recovered from the stress of her long flight! I know with your care she is probably doing great. Can't wait for pics.

Oh, she is doing fine now, Lorraina - swimming, and no signs of an illness. A scrape turned out negative (hurray, finally dug out my scope from one of the moving boxes... :happydance ), and she eats and all. I decided to name her Maya - she reminds me of a little bee by the same name in a children's story when I grew up. A little bee with a big heart....

Here are her pictures... Maya

Oh, it isn't pretty enough? :rofl3 Well, I don't have much decor in most of my tanks. They are all barebottom, mostly with some river rocks and terra cotta pots. I'd rather give the fish the extra swimming room. I never bother to submit my tank pictures for "Tank of th e month" - they'd never win a prize, there are a lot of more decorated and beautiful tanks around.

With that tank, I had to hurry to get it together, and just bought the stand a day earlier. I ran out of quarantine tanks, and figured I need to set up one of my empty 55 gl's again. I am sure I get around to at least put a background on it though... and a tank mate or two for Maya... :rolleyes:

Archived