Gross Film On Water

Chrissy_Bee

As some of you might remember, I got a betta from my friends a few weeks ago. He's doing GREAT, eating well, blowing bubble nests all the time..but the water has developed a nasty film. I'm not sure what it is, it's so thick that I have to dip a net in every other day and pull it off.

My fish (Bender) is in a medium critter keeper (about 2 gallons) with gravel, live plants and no filtration. I do water changes about every 3-4 days and suction the bottom with a turkey baster. I add water conditioner and use tap water that's been distilled for at least 24 hours.

Anybody else ever have this and/or know what it is?

Chrissy

Hmm...before I put my bettas in filtered tanks, I had them in big gallon bowls. After a few days, a light film would form on the waters' surface. It wasn't thick, but it was visible. I am not sure what causes it though. Do you have a water test kit? Maybe check the params. Or do more frequent water changes. I am not familiar with critter keepers; do they have tight lids on them? Or would it be possible to put a small filter on it? It helps alot with the water quality, and I also do my 50% water changes every week.

I am sure someone else more knowledgeable will be along shortly to offer more help. Keep us posted on little Bender! (Cute name, by the way.) :D

I think I know what it is. Believe it or not...Fish Saliva (uuukkkk) :P I have my two bettas in a ten gallon with a divider. One was blowing bubbles for two days; the other one was not. After the two days I noticed the side with the bubble blower had a slimy film on it. It was like a perfect split in the tank; one side slimy, the other side not. I could only attribute it to the fish blowing bubbles because they share aeration and filtration!

Angela

Hmmmm, that makes sense for sure. The film only started forming after he began his nests and it's very protein-like. As long as that's all it is, I'm not too worried (just a little grossed out :blink: ). I'll just keep skimming it or add a filter. Thanks.

Chrissy

I don't think it could be the bubbles. My female was in a gallon jar for a while before I put her in a filtered tank and every few days, her jar would develop that yucky slime on top....

As long as your water params are great and you keep up with the water changes, he should be fine. :)

Speaking of, one of my boys has be blowing the biggest nest lately! I wish I had a digi cam...

My best guess is that it is a film of protein. If I have a bucket of water out for about 5 days, a very thin film appears. In unfiltered betta tanks, this film appears much thicker and faster because of the betta's slime coats. If the betta is ill or if they just normally produce more slime than others, the film will appear much faster. The only way to really get rid of it is to get a very tiny filter to circulate still water. It's completely normal :)

My best guess is that it is a film of protein. If I have a bucket of water out for about 5 days, a very thin film appears. In unfiltered betta tanks, this film appears much thicker and faster because of the betta's slime coats. If the betta is ill or if they just normally produce more slime than others, the film will appear much faster. The only way to really get rid of it is to get a very tiny filter to circulate still water. It's completely normal :)

:goodpost:D

Archived