Sick Plakat

Rockstar

Well my plakat Voodoo is having problems again... I noticed he had his occasional white spot near his eye again so I put out some water and went to work. When I returned he seemed to have some damage to tail, I first thought it could be finrot but there is no other signs of beat up fins. He occasionally gets small tears from flaring, could this be the case? I have noticed there is two white patches near his mouth, they are raised and smooth looking. His eyes are also hazy and there is the usual recurring white bump. His color is faded and he looks like he has some whitening under his chin. I figured it's definitely fungus... so I treated the tank with 1 tsp. (2.5gal unfiltered tank) of aq. salt and added a 1/4 tsp. of Pimafix today. He seems a little lethargic, and I just caught him bottom sitting (which never happens, he buries himself in the java moss to 'sleep') fins are clamped for the most part... but he is still eating actively and flaring at anything that moves. :D Any suggestions? Should I keep treating with the Pimafix for the rest of the week?

Love can you answer some questions for us so we can help you better?

What kind of setup do you have your betta in?

Tank size.

do you have a filter in the tank?

Is the tank heated?

what do you feed your fish?

How often are water changes done?

What are your water params ?

And yes do you have a pic?

Sorry I haven't had a chance to reply in awhile. He is in a 2.5gal unfiltered minibow tank.The tank is heated evenly... temperatures are usually between 79-81. There is also a baseball size clump of java moss in there, and I am not using a substrate. Params are usually 0, sometimes ammonia will climb but I have one of those ammonia monitors in the tank. pH is usually 6.5 - 6.6 out of the tap. I change his water once a week (treated with amquel) and clean the tank thoroughly. A day after the last post he looked really bad, he had his fins clamped, sat under the heater, and he would attempt to eat but spit the food back out repetidily like he couldn't chew it. The fungus on his mouth got worse and started showing up on his side. He started improving the next day, and now he's back to his regular spastic self again. He is eating good and most of the fungus is gone. I will try and get a good picture, does anyone have any photography advice, I can never get a good clear picture.

Archived