Echo Light And Fish Eggs

bluiis

Hi - I'm new here and new to fish too. I have a mid size pond in the back yard here in so. california. The pond is about 8 months old. We are having alot of srting alge and I was told after a year it would calm down. I usually just pull it out by hand or with the pool net. Today we noticed it looks like clear caviar in the string alge. We left it alone- Do you think they are eggs or illness? We have 5 Koi, one Shubunkin Fish a big red ear slider turtle and a small hi fin shark.

Friends have said we need to get an echo light? They say it would eliminate the string alge. Do any of you have experiance with them? Do they work? Will it hurt the eggs if that's what those are? Do you know a good brand and where to purchase it?

Thanks for any help you could pass along

I don't know about the light, but in regards to the caviar, it could be frog eggs if its dark in color. Goldfish eggs are either clear or whitish, but the frogs leave tons and tons of dark black eggs.... :)

No frogs in these parts and yes the color is clearish with a white flimy look. Do you happen to know if I should take them out of the pond and put them into a rubbermaid container. I've been reading alot about that in other post but most of those seem to be talking about tank fish not outdoor ponds. PS Thanks for your imput

Depends on the temperature, really - how warm/cold is it? And I assume the parents are in there as well, obviously. The eggs might not last long before the other fish start eating them. There are always some survivors, but if you wonna safe more fish, I'd try to take the eggs out, stuck to the algae would be simplest.

We are in So california. It's been in the hi 70 low 80 in the day with sun on the pond at night it drops to 40-50. If I take them out do I just put them in a bucket with the same water from the pond? then what? I have no idea

You may want to do a search on these forums on breeding. I believe Koi breeding is similar to Goldfish breeding. But I would assume (someone correct me if I am wrong please) that you'd need more of stock tank to hatch them in rather then a tank.

Good Luck!

Hmmm, stock tank- ranch tank? I really don't know a thing about this. Thanks for the help tho. I will search more. I haven't been able to find much so far on the eggs and breeding regarding an outdoor pond in a warm climate. It's sunny and 83 here today.

Since we are so new to this all I might just wait to see what happens naturally. I have friends with ponds and they say the never noticed a thing until they saw babbies swimming around. I have no idea if they are Koi eggs or from the shubunkin. Could a Koi fertilize Shubumkin eggs?

I really hope some of the eggs are hidden in the rocks so they are safe. I saw 2 of our largest Koi this morning swim around and through the algea that had eggs in it and not seem to care or notice.

Archived