How Long Can Snails Go Without Food?

sea

Hmm, I've seen his question asked lots of times about fish but what about snails? I assume they can last several days without food and since mine are really messy and there won't be any water changes I would prefer not to have someone feed them if possible. Can they go 3 days, 5 days, a week? Anyone know? Thanks.

They can definatly go three days, mine can go at least five but I've never left them without any food for more than that so I'm not sure how long. I'm assuming you have brigs? I've got canas and a haustrum which are plant eaters so when I go away I'll toss a bit of raw carrot in the tank and with the cold water it doesn't rot and it lasts quite a while for them. My brigs don't like that very much though, its too hard for them.

edit: I should say my water is cool, not cold...the snailies don't like it when the temp goes below 72.

Thanks - one is a big fat Brigs, I am not sure what the other is but he is a very picky eater. He does not like veggies and will only eat algea wafers or spirulina pellets. If I have someone come by on day 4 and add some wafers/pellets that should break the week up pretty well into two 4 day increments so hopefully that will work. What do you think?

Archived