Well, That Makes The Job Easier!

GoinNuts

If you've read any of my other posts, you'd know I was having a dickens of a time with siphoning my fry tank to get/keep it clean. No matter what I used or how, I kept accidently siphoning up fry and not so much of the ooky stuff. (I had no idea the bad eggs and egg 'shells' would be so sticky!)

Well, I fashioned myself a siphoning tool using a ahort length of 3/16 rigid tubing attached to airline hose and it works like the BOMB! The stiffness of the rigid tubing allows me more control and does a better job of getting the ick off the bottom.

I'm so excited. :D So far, my fry are 4 days old and I've only lost about 15 of the 80+ I started out with. They seem to be doing well - growing a bit and I think I even saw several of them pooping today! That's a good sign, yes?

I tell you though, it's a LOT more time consuming that I anticipated. Fun as all get out, but it sure does take a lot of time. Mostly because I find myself just sitting and watching them all day long when I should be doing laundry or something. :grin:

Lisa

I put a heater in the fry tank and set it to 70, i just want to have constant temperature. 72 is ok as long as it doesnt change a lot. The heater is laying at the bottom of the tank.

I have a bad experience w/ heater as well. It happened in my fry tank. I forgot to shut it down during water change and it exploded. After I put a new one in the new position, everything is ok, so far.

Good Luck!!!

I am glad that works for you - you should submit it as a tip of the month!

It sounds like your little fishes are doing well. I agree, they are amazing. I have rolled a chair into the room with the youngest fry and love to sit and watch them. My work is suffering for it, too! :rofl

The eggs of most fancies hatch out best at about 68-70 degrees F. The fry are supposed to grow better at 70-72F. I would leave your tank alone. My first round of fry is a bit over 3 weeks old. They were at 68F all their lives and are already 3/4 inch long with nice high fins and deep bodies. There is no lack of growth there - so the temp must be fairly agreeable.

The second batch is at 71F. They seem to be thriving, too.

:):)

I made a small modification to my siphon/cleaner tool that has made a big difference so I thought I'd share. I took a check valve, broke off one end and attached it to my rigid tubing. I can now clean the bottom of my fry tank in a FRACTION of the time it had been taking me. :exactly

Here's a pic of my Fry Tank Cleaning Tool:

Siphon_Cleaner_1.jpg

Closer up of the check valve addition. I wasn't able to cut it exactly straight, but I sanded the edge with an emery board so it would be smooth and not scratch my fry (in case one got too close):

Siphon_Cleaner_2.jpg

I hope this might be of use to someone. It really makes the job of cleaning my fry tank an absolute breeze now.

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I like the looks of that siphon with the check valve on the end! That is a great idea IMO, and I am thinking about giving it a whirl with my 5.5 gallon betta tank...

Thank you for the inspiration!

• 2 months later...
  • Supporter

I hadn't seen this yet, but wanted to say that is is an AWESOME idea, and if my fry hatch I will certainly be using this method. Thanks!

Awesome! I have all my guppy fry in a half-filled 10 gallon, so the usual gravel vac doesn't work. I'll have to try this out :) I could use it on my 5 gallon and the two beta tanks then too!

Archived