How Can I Stop Her?

NightAngel

I have a two year old black moor that blows eggs all over the tank twice a month. How can I convince her to stop? I have her in a tank with corys and they wont touch the eggs. They end up rotting in the tank, what a mess. She is currently in a 29 gallon that is planted. She eats the plants too. I have been apeasing her with algea wafers to keep her full.

If I were in to breeding moors then she would be quite the gem. Since I am not, I must deal with a tank full of rotting eggs. I really like the fish, I have had her a long time. Just never had a female goldfish that was of age before..........

Causing her to become eggbound is not my intention. She is a gorgous moor (nice fins and dark black color), it would be a shame for her to become sick. I guess all the goldfish I have had in the past were male or somthing. I have never had a goldfish lay eggs before. She has been doing this for a couple of months now. She started when I put her in a planted tank. I think that she really likes it in there.

The other tank I had her in was not planted. She never laid eggs in there. I was thinking that removing the plants would make her stop, but I think that it is more humane to keep her in a natural type environment.

If the alternative is to have her become egg bound, then does any one know of a little fish that is compatible with goldfish that likes to eat eggs????

Maybe a third, but there are at least a hundred or two that end up rotting. There are some in here tank from several days ago. They end up in places on leaves she cannot see. She has big telescopes and she feeds by aimlessly opening and sucking in water. She cant see a thing in front of her......This method of eathing does not dislodge/unstick them from the surface of leaves and driftwood.

I know of no really good way. The best I can suggest is to keep your tank at the same temp - in the low 70s - all year round, and keep the light the same number of hours all year 'round, you can slow her from going into breeding mode.

If she had a male, he could convince her to drop more at a time - and she would only do it two or three times a year - with many eggs. But there are pitfalls to that, too.

Other than that, with a female, you just clean 'em up. I just wipe them away as soon as I see them, change out some water (eggs can foul water quickly) and all is good. It only takes a couple of minutes to clean up 90% of them and she should eat some and the rest will come out next time you clean normally.

You can wipe out with any tank cleaning material when you do the water change.

It is safe for them to eat their own egg, the only problem is they might over eat. When I see them eating egg, I stop feed them for a day.

Do they even have taste?

has anybody try it?

Archived