Don't Be A Victim To Power Cuts

Guest Brock

Yesterday I narrowly missed disaster when there was a powercut while I was at work. And although a battery operated air pump is a useful piece of kit, if you're unable to be there for your fish when they need it, what are you going to do?

So I thought about getting a UPS (Uniterruptable Power Supply). It's basically a box with a big battery in it that is usually used for computers. It plugs into your mains supply, and then your tank (or computer) then plugs into it.

In the event of a blackout, the battery kicks in, and keeps everything working for a few hours until you can sort the situation out or until the power comes back on.

They're not cheap, but could mean the difference between tragedy and protecting your little friends.

Funny you should bring up this topic! I bought a battery backup unit at Canadian Tire. That night at 3:00a.m. our power went out. :o (Weird eh?) The temperature outside was -18 degrees celcius. The power was off for 3 hours and our house temperature dropped to 62 degrees fahrenheit. My tank, however, stayed at a toasty 72 degrees with all filters and aerators working. The fishy gods must have sent me a premonition the night before to buy the backup! I would definitely recommend a backup unit to anyone with fish tanks! :) P.S.: Sorry for going back and forth between celcius and fahrenheit but I was in elementary school when Canada switched so I still use both! :wacko:

Angela

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, those things can be wonderful allright. Pricey, but wonderful. I am sure they would run longer than estimated with a fish tank on it instead of a computer, right? That is, if you didn't have lots and lots of stuff running. ;)

Guest myfourgoldies

That is a really awesome suggestion. We have one for our computer but I never thought of having one for the fish tanks. It truely could be a live saver for the fishies.... I think I am going on a shopping trip tomorrow.

• 2 months later...

how much would one of those cost? ive heard about them but i didnt know they were usable on anything other than a computer! dont the get plugged into the usb and power outlet of the computer? and arent they the same as ups?

Archived