Tubercles And Age

Kissy

One of my two comets that I rescued last august just got his tubercles!!! At about what age do males get these? He is only 3.5" long excluding his tail. He's almost doubled in size since I got him, but I'm worried that he's stunted. His sister was 3" before and has only grown a 1/2" since.

I have seen some that were aggressively grown get them at 8 months of age. I have seen them normally get them (it seems to me), during about the second breeding season. Depending on when they were hatched that could vary by many months.

My males do not hold their tubercles during the "off" months. They are VERY hard to see. They become VERY apparent when the water warms and they are ready to breed. The breeding stars on the fins are a bit easier to see year round.

It may be that yours is a very late season baby - so he is approaching his second season at a younger age. Since he has grown well since you have had him, I do not think he is necessarily that stunted - if at all. He seems to be thiving.

:)

Oh good :) I'm only assuming that these two are brother and sister because they look very similar and were probably bought in the same batch-so even if they aren't siblings, they are probably around the same age. When I first brought them home, the girl, Io, laid eggs all over the tank. Calypso wasn't interested at all in fertilizing. He just followed her around that day and ate them lol. I'll be sad when I finally re-home them. I was supposed to a while ago, but I've grown attached.

So if this is his second breeding season and he is young for it, could you assign an approximate age?

I didn't know tubercles weren't there all the time.

The ones on the gill plates seem to be almost invisible a good portion of the year in my male fish. The ones on the fins are more visable if you shine a flashlight along the fin line. The breeding stars will reflect just a bit - if the fish is a male. So you can see them even when the fish is not in "breeding mode". :)

Archived