Some Hair Algae Dying

daust

I have a 90 gallon tank that is cycled and water parameters are perfect. When I got a Coralife light just over a month ago, tons of hair algae grew and covered EVERYTHING with a pretty thick blanket. I left if because I thought it looked natural and quite pretty. Plus, the goldies loved to munch on it. In the last week, I've noticed that some of it is beginning to die off on a rock arch that I have. The only things that have changed in the tank are the addition of a 5 inch ranchu a week ago, and an increase in the gph of filtration. ( I have a large sump filter) Any idea what might be happening? I've read on the Goldfish Connection website that algae die-off may be an indication of water problems. I'd really like to keep the algae because it looks quite beautiful waving in the current. :)

Angela

I'm not sure what the wattage is. I'll have to check tomorrow. It is a two light fixture for a 90 gallon tall tank. The fish are all healthy as horses! They eat like pigs (what I feed them that is) and all of them have grown, especially the two smallest, which have doubled in size in the last three months. The light is by Coralife, as previously mentioned, and the amount of algae that appeared within 3 days of getting this fixture was amazing! Every surface in the tank was covered in that short time. I have to scrape it off the glass at the front of the aquarium every day! The weird thing is that only the rock arch has die-off. Could it be that the goldies are just "grazing" more on this structure? :blink:

Angela

I had the same thing happen to me when my tank and CF light fixture were both "new." Cycled, but new. I observed my tank going through a number of "phases" before it completely settled down. I thought that the very pretty green hair algae was one of them. Similar to a bacterial "bloom," the green hair algae bloom cannot sustain itself. I think that what is happening is that the algae grow so fast that they deplete some vital nutrient, or the population reaches a level that it inhibits its own continued growth. Then a die-back occurs. Actually, mine eventually died off completely. I now have a combination of brown and green algae. Would have preferred the hair algae, and the fish seemed to like it as well.

Dennis

That would be a shame if my algae met the same fate as yours Deniss. I really liked the way it looked. I wonder if there is any sort of supplement you could add to the water to keep it going? Maybe aquatic plant fertilizer? I've got an Easter Island/Volcano theme going in my tank and the algae made it look very lush and tropical! And kind of mysterious in a lost civilization sort of way! :D

Archived