Jason Is *very* Ill -- Please Help!

KelzosWifey

Ammonia Level?FF0000] 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 20

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 6.8

Ph Level out of the Tap? ?

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 35 Gals, since October

What is the name and size of the filter/s? 1 Aquaclear 20, 1 aquaclear 70

How often do you change the water and how much? 20% 1x weekly, but two 25% WC's in the past 2 days...

How many fish in the tank and their size? 4. One 2 in. Fantail/ One 2 in. Ryu/ One 1 in. ryu/ One 2 in. cory.

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Topfin water cond. and aquarium salt.

Any medications added to the tank? Not yet...

Add any new fish to the tank? No.

What do you feed your fish? Flake food and goldfish crisps.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt"? Nope.

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Not frayed, but limpish/thin

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, ect..? Jason is listless and is floating around the top. It looks like under his eyes are swollen and his eyes are hazy. No discoloration. He managed to get stuck to thte filter and did not have the strength to pull out - I got him out. He is very weak.

Guys I am freaking out, I love this little guy and feel incredibly bad that he is sick. My parems seem about right to me, I'll be stepping up the WC's for sure but what else can I do? What does it sound like he has?

He just ate a flake - I am glad. Being hungry is a good sign I think...

Still very weird - he is so weak and just floats around. When he gets caught in the filter current he manages to swim out...

His cheeks are swollen/puffy. One looks to be a bit reddish in places -- but jason is a calico and I am having a hard time telling if its just natural or not...

Argh!

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

What is the ph of your tap water?

Next how long have you had this fish?

What meds to you have on hand?

With the weakness you may need to block the intake tube so he can't get stuck again.

Has anything else been happening?

Thanks for the fastr reply Laurie :)

I will test the tap water soon, I don't know offhand the ph...

I have had Jason for nearly a year. He just started acting strange two nights ago and only looked bad starting last night...

How can I block off that tube while still getting the filtration? Got any tips?

Do you know what disease he has?

No I don't know what is happening right now, hopefully we can narrow it down.

You can try blocking the tube with some type of mesh or screen, even arrange plants to keep him from getting to it.

Have you seen him have a bowel movement? If so what does it look like?

Is he eating? Do you have a medicated food?

Sorry for all the questions, at this point things are vague. We need to narrow things down some.

If he is eating good, then maybe a good fast followed by peas would help. However if he hasn't been eating well............

Yes, I added Salt...

He is starting to look better and has more energy. he is still sluggish and has very limp/thin fins... I think the salt and WC's helped alot.

No, I haven't seen him have a BM, but he could have. He doesn't look much constipated. He ate a bit of flake food last nite -- I have no medicated food in the house. What kind do you reccomend? Should I feed him a pea in the meantime? He doesn't seem constipated, just very weak. I am particularly concerned about his eyes being all sunken in/hazy. I hope he's not blind now but could be -- I saw him bump right into the glass yesterday. No more filter issues/getting stuck but I am keeping my eyes on him...

argh...

:hi Erin, do you refer to the gill color to what you see outside on the gill plate, or are you able to look inside the gills, for example, when the fish takes a breath? Or better yet, hold him and open one gill with your thumb nail, and discribe how it looks? The color of the gills (inside that is) can help greatly narrowing down what might be wrong.

The eye issue is only under the eye, right? Not all around, looking like somebody glued a bagel around the eye?

Thank you for your help everyone, but unfortunatley Jason passed away this morning.

I had netted off the filter intake but he still managed to get re-stuck. I found him attached to the filter after work and got him out... His fin (That was up in the filter intake) was all red and raggedy -- I do not know if it was from being stuck or from a disease but this seemed to seal his fate. He went downhill from there.

Last night he was curling over on his side and this morning my husband found him dead. I had my hubzo remove his body b/c I was too upset to look at him but now that I think of it, I should have looked at him closely for signs of disease...

Andrea, it was UNDER the gill cover that eas pale and no, it was not swollen around the entire eye, just under. Before he passed, the haziness had cleared up and I swear he was doing better. I firmly believe that all the time he spent stuck to the filter messed up his healing... :ill

Again, thank you all.

I will continue to monitor my other hree fish. Luckily they all seem very healthy and unaffected by whatever Jason had.

It just drives me nuts NOT to know what happend to him. I thought my parems were good and there were no warning signs he was going under. I feel incredibly guilty about this. It must be that mommy instinct kicking in. I should have protected him and there he goes and dies on my watch.

*sigh*

Thanks again all.

Awww sometimes there's nothing we can do, it sounds as if you went above and beyond and cared for him the best you can. Unless your fish was a fry, raised by you its hard to know what environment he wasraised in before you gave him a home. I'm sure genetics also plays a heavy role as well. Please don't beat yourself up it sounds to me like Jason had a loving home with you and your husband.

I'm so sorry you lost him. :cry1:heart

Archived