Another Rescue On Deaths Door It Would Seem

Katalyst

So last night I brought home an oranda who didn't make it more then two hours. Today I went back to the store to at least tell them to check out that tank that perhaps something was going on in there. This particular tank has some true beauties in it but I just fell for that little oranda so hard.

The manager who rang me up last night asked me how she is, I told him that she had passed away and that's why I was there. I also needed liquid calcuim for my snail which is why I went in there last night period.

He tells me he'll give me another fish, I tell him I'm just not ready for another fish. I get my calcium and I always have a look at the goldies and other then last night have never gotten one from the lfs. Then I saw her, this beautiful long tailed ryunkin. Hiding in the base of a large tank with her fins all nipped. She had the saddest little face and I waggled my tail and eventually she swam over to me and perked right up. I had no intentions of getting her until I saw one of the big guys cruise over and bulldoze her while another nipped at her beautiful tail.

My water params are spot on 0 ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are 5. Ph 7.8

Its been set up with cycled media from my big tank and been running a little over a week. Immediately I noticed her lying on the bottom floating in the current, sometimes upside down and other times just lying there. She's breathing with clamped fins at the moment and lying on the bottom of the tank. I've raised the temp of the tank and its at about 74 at the moment. I have an Aqua Clear 20 on the tank and no meds.

Swim bladder? I'm not sure how to proceed, should I salt the tank? I have medigold which I can give her but I wanted to ask you guys first. I'm not sure I can handle 2 deaths so closely together and want to save her if I can. She's the saddest little sight I've ever seen and my heart breaks each time I look at her.

Are you sure your nitrItes are 5? NitrItes at 5 ppm is very dangerous. If this reading is right, i would do a very large water change right away. if it is sbd, you can fast him for 2-3 days, then feed him peas for 2-3 days after that.

Hey Kat, I posted in your obit thread about the loss. You are so kind!!!

My first thoughts here are of the ph, while yours is ok what is the stores ph? If there is a signifigance then that could be your culprit. Is there anyway you checked that before transfering into your tank? Or could you ask them what their's is?

If that checks out then.........

Yes feeding the medigold is ok, especially with a tail issue. It will help to ward off infections.

It is hard when they first come home, you never know what they are coming with or have been thru.

I would think besides the ph (I mentioned above) I would focus on perfect water, rest and med food. See what the next 24 hours brings. To be honest I wouldn't throw anything else at her, you could make it worse. Patience is usually your friend when bringing home a new addition. Give it a chance to either show you exactly what is going on or a chance for her to respond to perfect water.

I wish you luck, keep us posted.

Are you sure your nitrItes are 5? NitrItes at 5 ppm is very dangerous. If this reading is right, i would do a very large water change right away. if it is sbd, you can fast him for 2-3 days, then feed him peas for 2-3 days after that.

Nope panicky type nitrates are 5 nitrites are 0.

Hey Kat, I posted in your obit thread about the loss. You are so kind!!!

My first thoughts here are of the ph, while yours is ok what is the stores ph? If there is a signifigance then that could be your culprit. Is there anyway you checked that before transfering into your tank? Or could you ask them what their's is?

So I call my LFS to inquire about the Ph. This is a store I frequent and was very polite, I explained about the fish I had last night and the situation with the new one. I ask him what their Ph level was and immediately this guy became extremely defensive and rude. He snapped our Ph? What's your Ph? And then went on to say how inexperienced people kill thier fish all the time and want to blame the LFS! I said actually I'm not trying to blame anyone here, I'm trying to save this fish's life. Could you please tell me the Ph level...He snaps back what's are you water parameters. I said my params are perfect...He laughs and says Oh really? Define perfect! Then he says since your an expert what size are your tanks...Fuming I rattle off 150 gallon, 20 gallon, 15 gallon & 39 gallon-even though the 39 has a crack I was mad! I then go through my water params and tell him the fish is in a 15 gallon QT tank, he snarfs that only Marine fish need to be QT'ed and that I must be really paranoid.

He was looking to pick a fight which I wouldn't give him, the nastier he became the politer I became. So I tell him my Ph is about 7.5-7.6 ish. He says well that's way to high for goldfish and that I probally didn't know how to use the test kit properly anyway! I was stunned and asked if there was anyone there who kept goldfish that I could speak to. He hung up on me!

I called back and asked for the manager explained and after what seemed like a whole lot of drama they said their Ph is 7.5.

Attached is a photo of the little guy :( he's breathing but just floating...I told Markus to cancel Valentine's Day today and we'd do it tommorrow or something. :( Don't mind the tank its a mess as I just threw some gravel and a terracotta pot into it this morning. I wasn't planning on coming home with a fish today. :(

Lucky-1.jpg

My goodness, was this the man that was so polite and called previously to check on the other fish?

He obviously knows little, for gf can handle a range of ph's as long as there isn't any fluctuations. That is what could be the problem. Sorry they were so rude to you, I always wonder when people are so defensive if they are trying to protect something.............

Poor little thing doesn't look well. I will be honest. But in good water conditions it will give her the best chance. Is she eating anything?

My goodness, was this the man that was so polite and called previously to check on the other fish?

He obviously knows little, for gf can handle a range of ph's as long as there isn't any fluctuations. That is what could be the problem. Sorry they were so rude to you, I always wonder when people are so defensive if they are trying to protect something.............

Poor little thing doesn't look well. I will be honest. But in good water conditions it will give her the best chance. Is she eating anything?

I'm pretty sure its swim bladder, I've had several people tell me to bring her back to the lfs. But I just can't. She's fighting hard to right herself and I noticed with lower water levels she seems to be to right herself a lot easier so I've taken out about 35% of the water out. I have a breeding net placed in her tank which seems to help her rest under the water rather then have her skin exposed on the surface. I also placed a large terracotta pot in with her and she seems to either lie under the netting or in the pot at least she's not floating at the surface. She ate earlier today and I'm wondering if that's what caused the instant flip. Because she was beat up and her tail was a bit chewed on I fed her some medi gold, I saw her eat one pellet and shortly thereafter she was bottom sitting and then flipping. I just thought she was stressed from the trip, bag etc. Its heart breaking to watch her at the moment she is on her back at the bottom. My hands are actually cracked and bleeding from the number of times I've stuck my hands in the tank. I've also raised the temp of her tank in assumption that she'll metabolize her food faster in a warmer environment, I've yet to see any poop and I've been watching her like a hawk. At the moment she won't eat, I've tried force feeding pea's to no avail. She does look better (but not much) then she did earlier but I'm not too optimistic.

The funny thing about the lfs is this, when my other new guy died last night I didn't care about the $12.99 I paid for him, I was concerned about the other fish in the tank. So I went in the back to the fish room to give them a heads up thinking since all of the filters are connected...No one cared naturally and its a shame because there are some really great people who work there, sadly they are all cashiers or floor people. Not one works in the fish room...The guy on the phone today just sounded like a miserable person, there's no excuse for him and I feel bad that he works with the public/animals.

I'm sorry this is so long winded Laurie but I have one other question...I've been reading that sbd can also lead to dropsy, I can get my hands on Debride Medicated food which contains Baytril, this same fish keeper also has a client who is a vet and does Baytill injections but I'm hoping wholeheartedly that she's just a bit floaty and with some tlc she can overcome this. I also can get my hands on metromeds and I already have medigold, which made her flip immediately. I was wondering about making her a medicated gel food, I know the conditions are not idea and that the food shouldn't be soaked but watching her flip is heartbreaking.

Gosh I'm sorry to have so many questions, she's just so tiny and I'm sure no one else will take her. Ironically I was going to name her Lucky on the way home, because I thought she was so pretty that I was lucky to have her. :(

Hi Kat - she's a cutie :heart

Unfortunately, I don't think it's her swimbladder that's the problem :( If she's gasping, then there's some kind of stressor putting pressure on her heart and some things can cause this eg.

- stress leading to illness

- internal infection

- parasites

basically anything that's compromising normal organ function. What's so frustrating is there's no real way of knowing what she may be ailing from because we don't know what she's been exposed to so for now, I think the only thing you can do is exactly what Laurie advised - keep the water perfect, feed medicated food and observe. If she has no appetite, then leave the food and try keeping her tank dark, it will help calm her and if you see any questionable poop, pale gills, redness on the body... anything that doesn't look right, you may need to look at adding a waterborne med.

Can you check the colour of the gills?

Also, how does her slime coat look? Not mucousy or thick?

Unfortunately she didn't make it, I was happy to see her floating right side up, when I went to bed there was no gasping. She was so small it was pretty hard to see her gills. These two little fish are the first time I have ever puchased fish from a LFS. All of my goldies were recues from a pond or my one little tiny terror from Angela :heart . She's actually smacking her lips and gurgling from the other room at the moment as if to make me laugh lol. I don't think I'll ever get another fish from the lfs, I can see now people get their golds from breeders.

Awww Kat, I so sorry. :cry1 I was hoping the little guy would make it. I've never had good luck with fish store goldies. They're just not cared for well enough. Be patient. Andrew's is only two months away. :)

Angela

Awww Kat, I so sorry. :cry1 I was hoping the little guy would make it. I've never had good luck with fish store goldies. They're just not cared for well enough. Be patient. Andrew's is only two months away. :)

Angela

I kinda just emailed him. :ignore I'm gonna get killed...lol

Patience Grasshopper. When you can snatch the pebble from my hand, only then are you worthy of another goldish!!! :D

Angela

I am sorry that you lost your little fish. I am glad that you tried to save her, though. At least she died in a nice clean tank without being harassed by other fish. She died in peace with your love and tenderness and that says a lot.

I often buy fish from local stores that are in need of "saving". Many of them have grown to be healthy and beautiful fish. It is heartbreaking when you lose them, but very rewarding when they survive and thrive :D

It was wonderful that you gave that little one a chance. Take care :heart

Patience Grasshopper. When you can snatch the pebble from my hand, only then are you worthy of another goldish!!! :D

Angela

Oh I agree...I'm not ready for another fish. I did however this morning rearrange wee beasties tank. She somehow managed to be sitting on the same side of the tank as the snail this morning. Waggling her little body around with her dorsal fin down like a bad puppy lol. I sectioned off a small section of the tank for the snail...There was less then a half inch gap with the divider and I think I told you she had The Shinings Heresssssss Johnnnnny!!!!! face as she tried to get through the divider at the snail. I pulled the snail out and it hasn't moved since.

Since I removed the snail and the divider she's swimming around like That's right this is my tank! Uh huh MY TANK! Happy as can be, little creep is lucky I adore her so much lol. Someday if I can find a fish brave enough I'd love to have some fry from her. lol But looking at the size her belly can get too I'm sure she'd eat all the eggs before I'd have a chance lol.

I just emailed Andrew to ask what he's getting in and that I may be in the market in a few months for another oranda if he had any with unusual coloring. Or a lionchu or...Yeah

At least you're not getting fish heads in the mail yet! Notice I said "yet"! :blink:

Angela

Kat I am sorry she didn't make it, what a toll that has to be. But you were trying your best to save her, that counts.

Keep us updated on when you do get more fish, take care.

Kat I am sorry she didn't make it, what a toll that has to be. But you were trying your best to save her, that counts.

Keep us updated on when you do get more fish, take care.

Thanks Laurie, all joking aside I'm really not ready for any more. I did speak to the manager and said I in fact didn't want any more fish but that he should really have those tanks checked out. He wants me to come in and is trying to dangle a show quality Ryunkin at me, I'm not biting though. The tosakins however are very tempting but I'm still thinking about that first little oranda. :( Such a pretty little thing.

I'm sorry about those little fishies, how horrible. But that was so kind of you trying to save them, you did your best. I hope all your other fishies are OK! :heart

I'm sorry about those little fishies, how horrible. But that was so kind of you trying to save them, you did your best. I hope all your other fishies are OK! :heart

Thanks Erin and Anette, everyone else is okay. Last night for Valentine's Day I was surprised with a light for the 150 and some plants. They are having fun shredding their new plant :ignore and seem to enjoy the light as well. The two little one's that passed were in a 15 gallon QT tank. I just finished nuking it for the second time and stuck it in the basement.

:( Kat, I am so sorry you loss this little fish. I'm sure you did whatever you could in the short time you had her and I'm sure she knew she was in a better place even if it was a short time. It shows how big your heart is when you do something like this. :heart

Archived