Babies After Babies After Babies

Levi

We had 42 guppy and black lyretail moll babies today!! Thank god we have another tank set up just for them we also had 10 guppy babies last wed. and 11 mickey mouse platy babies two mondays ago! They are so tiny but they are awsome!

Levi

I've learned that as well (perhaps the hard way) with my guppies. I started with one male and one female and now have about 40+ guppies. Nearly all of them are from the original male and female.

You have to love livebearers....a friend of mine just ended up with 90 new molly babies in two days that survived despite larger voracious fish, I can only imagine how many there were to start with! They were from four mothers.

About a month ago I also had a surprise; there is no cover in a tank full of baby brigs (snails) and a couple of swords so I never end up with babies...then I gave the snails a leaf of romaine, and the next morning there were 22 sword fry that'd managed to wiggle up in the cracks of the lettuce where there was less than 1/8" of water :D

This happened to me before as well. I had guppies and platties and mollies all in one tank and well they ihad almost 50 babies and I had to give some away to someone who had an empty 29 gallon tank that they wanted to stock with platties so I went ahead and gave them the platties! Good luck and please keep us posted!

About a month ago I also had a surprise; there is no cover in a tank full of baby brigs (snails) and a couple of swords so I never end up with babies...then I gave the snails a leaf of romaine, and the next morning there were 22 sword fry that'd managed to wiggle up in the cracks of the lettuce where there was less than 1/8" of water :D

Wow! Those were definitely some lucky fry! That would make for some really neat pics. :bingo:

Archived