Hatching Is So Cool To Watch!

daryl

Today we are having a blizzard. So I have spent a lot of time indoors. I was studying the eggs, somewhat concerned that most of them had turned "gray", when each little egg gives a little twitch and a tiny little sliver of a baby fish comes out.

They sit on the eggs shell, resting. Then they twitch again and the whole fish comes out. It is amazing to watch.

Man, I never cease to be amazed at how tiny, weeny, eetzy those little fry are when they first hatch.

I raised the temp to 71F. this time. They hatched almost 12 hours earlier than last batch.

COOL, huh? :D:D:D

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is cool watching them hatch. I got to see the last few of the last brood I purposly hatched come out and it is amazing watching those tiny little things come out :heart

These are broadtail Ryukin again - but different dad.

Mom is the same red and white female I just got.

Dad is my 2006 Nationals Reserve Grand Champion, Sterling....

post-27-1171405822_thumb.jpg

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH . . . . Sterling is the dad?! Believe me, I don't need a pic to know what Sterling looks like!! Although I could look at pics of him all day so I'm certainly not complaining!!

Oh my stars, those fry are going to be gorgeous. If you have too many I'd be glad to take a few off your hands (and so would at least half of the members here!).

Congrats, that is so exciting!!! :exactly

:nana Big Boy's a Daddy!!! :heart I always favored other fish than Ryukin,but I softened when I saw Sterling.I just love all his black, :heart

I didn't get to see my goldies hatch,but I know what you mean Carol.My Bristlenose lay bright orangeish eggs,and a ton at that and they all sit stuck together,I was lucky enough to see those orange little circles come to life,along with Betta babies,and was simply amazed. :heart

You sound like you are having a very nice day. :heart

Well, I pulled Sterling out when the entire 20 gallon long tank was covered in sticky eggs - the breeding mops were full, the glass and bottom was evenly coated. I know you are not supposed to let the eggs pile up. Mom still had many more, but.... I wiped them away in her tank. She was getting pretty battered by Sterling anyway.

I have been looking at those eggs for a couple of days, wondering how many were fertile.

This morning, I would say well over half of them were - I have fry on every glass surface, every blade of grass and even the sponge filter sponge. They almost look like everything is growing hair - hair with tiny little eyes.

It has only been 3 weeks since my last ones hatched out, but I had already forgotten just how tiny they really are when they hatch. Those new guys are WEENY!

So, I guess I would estimate that I have somewhere between 500 and 10000000000000000 babies in there.

:blink:

I guess I start brewing brine shrimp, huh?

:krazy::rolleyes::yeah:

To burst my bubble, though, I have to admit that all the fry I have have come from a single female - and one that I did NOT "prime" myself. I am certainly many steps forward in my "breeding" education, but I still do not consider that I am a "breeder" for I did not do it all....

I have a ways to go - and a LOT to learn. :)

So true,so true...But you have to give yourself a huge amount of credit,for just keeping those little guys alive.You've seen how tiny and delicate they can be.Who woulda thunk? :D

OK, I conceed. I am in over my head! ACK! :krazy:

Most of the eggs that I thought were NOT fertile, are. The tank was now flooded with fry. Because the ammonia has been climbing from all the egg waste, I decided to move fry. It took hours, but I took out all four of my spare 10 gallon tanks. I scooped out approximately 200 fry and put them in each one of the 10 gallon tanks. Give or take a fry or 10, I have about 800 in the 10 gallon tanks. The fry in the 20L are still thick and heavy on the sides of the glass - easily well more than 200....

:krazy:

I think I have to just get brutal and dump a tank or two of them down the drain....

:cry1

I wonder how fast I could cycle enough of a sponge to take care of a HUGE tub, if I could find one, IF I could convince my hubby to tolerate it, IF I had enough water and stength to carry all that water - IF I even have the water available.

OK..... that's enough broadtail fry. :krazy:

On a lighter note - in the "older" tank, there are 38 fry left after the next cull..... and within that group there are about 15 that keep catching my eye. They are perfectly symetrical, nicely formed and generally really pleasant to look at. The others are fine - but those 15 or so are...... well, eye catching!!!! They are now about 3/4 inch long, about 3/8 inch deep, with nice big tails, flowing fins and high dorsals..... I am truly impressed with the group! They have graduated to Daphnia and ground up dry food, spiruliana grind-ate, and a few brine shrimp if I have any left over....

:)

Oh my stars, I cannot believe you may have to dispose of some of Sterling's offspring!! That is so sad. Hey, my husband is going to the Chicago AutoShow tomorrow. Maybe he should run by and pick up a few fry . . . and I'm not talking about McDonalds!!

So Sterling finally made it as Big Daddy! That is good news and in style by the sounds of things- amazing to watch them hatch- all those babies and some of them already little mini champs :heart Am really pleased for you and know they are in the most capable care and will grow big and strong. Congratulations Carol :exactly

Well, tonight I was taken a bit by suprise. I have the approximate 200 in each of four 10 gallon tanks. That is about 8oo fry. Then I put in a big bowl of live baby brine shimp into the original tank and a cloud of fry came up from the grass...... I would say there are easily 500 + more in that tank.

I really do not know what I am going to do with all the fry! I need to cull - but right now all that is visiable is an eye, a thread body and a pink full tummy. They all look alike!

So - what does one do with several thousand baby goldfish?

They are going to eat my entire fish budget! Ack!!!

(They are soooo cool to watch - little clouds of swimming eyeballs! :yeah: )