Red Cap Oranda Laying Eggs?

jamisskat

hi everyone, i have a female oranda that has been getting fatter and the males have been chassing her around alittle. her vent area looks kinda open and swollen is she going to be laying eggs soon?

Probably. Keep an eye on her to make sure she isn't physically harmed by the male. :)

Sounds like it. You should remove the eggs into another contaner when they get stuck to the plant so they don't get eaten.

Good luck!

P.S.-I mean that you should move the whole plant to another container, not just the eggs. :)

Edited by MyGoldfishIsLumpy

how long does this spawning usually take? this will be my first time dealing with spawning and the eggs. i do have a 40 gallon cycled and ready to go for the babies. also, is it possible for a few males to fertilize the eggs?

If it gets too rough then you should get a separate tank or a divider to separate the males from her. however, it will probably calm down after awhile. (I hope.)

I am not sure it multiple males can fertilize the eggs but I think so.

Just put the eggs in the 40 gallon tank and they will be fine. You should probably turn down the filter.

I'm not sure how long spawning can last.

Edited by MyGoldfishIsLumpy

Once when my filters went kaput on my smaller tank, I had to put my female in with my two males for a few days as well. Just wanted to add some personal experience/input here that this IS normal behavior. Things in my tank were getting pretty rough and relentless at first, I remember hovering for a good three hours making sure they werent hurting her. When I was finally satisfied that she wasnt in any serious danger I forced myself to leave the tank alone and sure enough, with in a few days everything was smooth sailing. Just wait it out, keep an eye on her, and hope for the best!