A Surprise In My Tank....now What?

Katalyst

The boyfriend decided to treat me to a little surprise in my 20 gallon this evening. Much to my dismay I found a little brownish/black snail in my tank. He surprised me by getting me a glass canopy for my 150 and again when I found the snail in my tank. This is going to sound stupid considering I'm a shark diver but snails kinda creep me out...a lot. I'm dealing.

Here are the problems I forsee...

So far my oranda has eaten all of his spinach..She's relentless and eats like I've never even seen the big guys do. I tried slipping in an algae wafer but eventually she found and ate that too. You'll see what I mean in the video.

Can anyone tell me what type of snail this is? I've been on applesnails.com and so far it sounds like I am in good shape. My tanks Ph is 7.8 consistently, its kept at 74 degree's, water is cycled/pristine and I've left an about an inch and a half on the top in case its a female snail. My water is also pretty hard which if I read correctly is good for their shell? I'll pick up some liquid calcium tomorrow and have ordered snail biscuits. (yes I am crazy)

So how am I doing so far?

Is this is wild apple?

th_Snail-Fish.jpg

Edited by Katalyst

I guess you now know why I never had live plants in the tank with her!! :D Maybe you should rename her "Shredder"! Hopefully she doesn't decide to supplement her salad with escargot! :rofl

Angela

I guess you now know why I never had live plants in the tank with her!! :D Maybe you should rename her "Shredder"! Hopefully she doesn't decide to supplement her salad with escargot! :rofl

Angela

I just watched her knock the poor little guy off of what seemed to be his 'spot' on some airline tubing. Such a cute little face, yet such a terror. Shredder? :rofl And here I thought calling her Little Beastie was funny. The snail is growing on me, its just I was saving that room for one of Andrews fish.

Anyone have idea's on what my snail is?

Edited by Katalyst

It definitely looks like a little apple snail (which is such a general term). It appears to be a bridgesii from the angles on the shell.

People say the brigs don't eat plants but mine did (the big yellow guy up there!). He should be fine wtih your fish but yes, feeding is a huge issue with them, which is why I don't like having them with goldfish. My goldfish also always pestered mine. Another problem with snails is, they are just as messy as goldfish! They are poop machines. I don't know where people get the idea they help clean?rather, they assist in dirtying the tank. :)

If you get one of Andrew's fish for her, make sure it has very short fins and no wen. It should survive any onslaught by the "demon fish" then. :D Maybe get a pirahna for her; I doubt she'll mess with that! :yikes

Angela

If you get one of Andrew's fish for her, make sure it has very short fins and no wen. It should survive any onslaught by the "demon fish" then. :D Maybe get a pirahna for her; I doubt she'll mess with that! :yikes

Angela

Okay lady you owe me a new monitor. I just spit tea laughing...Ms. Thing is going to end up in a 36 gallon eventually I'm thinking in the very least. I don't know why but to me it doesn't seem like she has enough room in the 20.

She's not pestering him anymore at least. I put a few small terracotta pots together that she can't fit into so he seems to be having a nap in one of them.

It definitely looks like a little apple snail (which is such a general term). It appears to be a bridgesii from the angles on the shell.

People say the brigs don't eat plants but mine did (the big yellow guy up there!). He should be fine wtih your fish but yes, feeding is a huge issue with them, which is why I don't like having them with goldfish. My goldfish also always pestered mine. Another problem with snails is, they are just as messy as goldfish! They are poop machines. I don't know where people get the idea they help clean?rather, they assist in dirtying the tank. :)

Mine was pretty funny last night he sat on top of his spinach leaf (as if he knew he wouldn't stand a chance otherwise) and seemed to be chowing down when I went to bed. I'm not really thrilled with having him in my goldie tank but since its the first animal Markus has bought me thinking it would make me happy I'm trying not to freak out too much about it. Plus since he just bought me a new glass canopy and is making lighting for my big tank I can't yell at the guy too much. :) If I had room in my 150 I'd stick him in there but I don't and at the moment its salted and pretty chilly. Perhaps when I rehouse some of my fish, my big guys are pretty mellow in comparison to the killer oranda in my kitchen.

Angela

Can you get a clearer picture? From what I can see it looks like a brig, only the spiral looks somewhat elongated, which could mean it's a viv. When it moves, is the point of the spiral to the side, up in the air, or out behind him?

Edited by wyofish

Angela

Can you get a clearer picture? From what I can see it looks like a brig, only the spiral looks somewhat elongated, which could mean it's a viv. When it moves, is the point of the spiral to the side, up in the air, or out behind him?

I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. The point of the spiral is up in the air.

Sounds like a viv to me then, brigs carry the point of their spiral to the side. Check out applesnail.net in the discussion area, there's a board labeled "Other Freshwater Snails", you should be able to find some good pics of viviparidae to find out if that's what yours is.