Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cattrix

Is A Tall Tank Bad For A Goldfish?

Guest Cattrix

Hello I don't have any fish yet... I am gathering information first.. I have had both tropicals and goldfish in the past but not for a long time, and I would consider my knowledge level along the uneducated but lucky dabbler. :unsure: my question,,, I have a tall skinny tank made of glass 20" high by 8" square not sure of how many gallons it is yet... but I have been reading here on the forum and it seems this is not a good configuration for Goldfish?? As they like a longer tank rather than a tall tank... is this correct? Any input would be great as I want to have a comfortable home for any GF I get,,, I am kinda looking at getting a Shubunkin! I had one when I was a little girl and I think they are so pretty!

Also this is a second hand tank from my sister, it had been in storage for quite awhile and I bought a new filter... an Aqua Tech with bio max or something like that,,, and some new Wonder rock coated natural color pebbles now I read these may be to small for safety reasons... the tank did come with the original rock that was in the tank.. my sister rinsed it and let it air dry and the stored it in a canvas bag,,, Could that be reused? Or would it maybe have harmful germs, ,,, or maybe it might still have some good bacteria still on it??

Sorry this is so long... :):blink: if the tank is not suitable for GF then I might set it up for something else...

Thanks so much to all the helpfull posts that I have read so far...

Warm Regards

Cat

:) Hi Cat and welcome to the forum.

That tank size is really not a good one for goldies at all,I'm afraid.You heard right,long tanks that have wide surface areas are best for goldfish.As for Shubunkins,they need at least 20 gallons per fish,as they grow quite long and they're fast when it comes to swimming and need as much space as possible.

If you could be happy enough with one Shubunkin,you could maybe look into the tank kits that they sell at Walm*rt,as they're really reasonable in price.The only thing is that with goldies,we recommend getting pretty strong filters as these fish are really good at pooing alot and making a big mess. :D

Any filter you have should filter at least 10x's the size of tank that you are using.

With the gravel/pebbles,you could boil them to make sure that there wasn't anything germy or nasty on them,and then reuse them. :)

I hope I've helped a bit,and if you get the chance,read over all the articles of keeping healthy fish/tank requirements,etc.,as that will all help you when you're ready to make that Goldie jump. :D

I hope to see you around. :exactly

Guest Cattrix

Thanks Devs :) Well I can find a betta or something to get me started then... I want to be as compassionate to any fish I get..as I can. :heart Even though I am chomping at the bit to get a few fancy goldfish :D . Wonderfull Board! Thanks Muchly! I will look into the set ups that Wally World have.

Cat

The gravel you use should be large.I have pea size,and now my 3" lionhead can suck it up easily and I am scared she will choke one day!.So I am slowly scooping it out and going to use small river rock (jellybean size or larger....lol...like my food references)Also I will share something I just learned...only put a 1/2 inch or less of gravel.I had 1 1/2 inches and it traps ALOT of dirt and gases which are bad for your fishy's health(and smelly),and harder to vacuum.I scooped it all out except one thin layer.Now my tank & water are some much easier to maintain,weekly water changes and vacuuming go faster and fish are just as happy :)

Edited by merlinsmom

Actually, as the fish grow, rocks that are under about egg yolk size are too small - mine will swallow anything an inch or under! :rolleyes:

You can reuse the gravel if you wish - I would suggest boiling it out - 10m inutes at a rolling boil in salted water. That will kill just about anything that may be there. :)

If your tank is 20 inches tall by 8 inches square, it will hold about 5.5 gallons. That is really too little volume, never mind the shape. Less than ten gallons per fish will result in unstable water chemistry and unacceptable waste concentration build-up between water changes.

Regarding tall tanks, these are actually good provided that the volume that they contain is adequate. Tall tanks give fish more exercise in ascending and descending which is beneficial. Very shallow tanks (or ponds) which only let fish swim horizontally are not as good. This mostly applies to fairly large fish, however.

Dennis

Guest Cattrix

Hello Merlinsmom, Daryl and denniss ! :hi

I was kinda bummed after reading everything and finding out that my tank is not suitable for a GF :(

I really don't want to mess with heaters so I want to by pass tropicals,,, I lost a whole tank of tropicals years and years ago with a bad heater.. I don't want a repeat of that, it was so sad. :( Any suggestions on what could go into a tall skinny tank without a heater?

But I am ok, I will just have to get a larger set up! :exactly I have loads of around egg yolk size river pebbles available to me, I craft with rocks so that would not be a problem.. and I was reading to check if the rocks are suitable for a tank you pour vineger on them and if they don't fizz they should be ok to use in a tank.. correct? Most of mine are basaltic or quartzes both agates, chalcedoneys and crystals.

I looked at a couple of tanks in a couple of big store online sites and found one that is a Seaclear flat back hexagonal 26 gal 36 x 12 x 16 that looks really nice. Finding a place for it is the booger! OH since I have had fishes in the past I KNOW what an obsession this can be,,, my husband is getting into the spirit though which is a major high point! lol

For a 26gal tank what size of filter would be best...

Thanks for the input it is greatly Appreciated :clapping:

Cat

Hi Cattrix. I know you must feel rather dissapointed on hearing all this because I know from your intro post you had been so looking forward to setting this tank up! Never mind. the good news is that you haven't got your fish yet so all this research you are doing is just going to make you a fabulous fish mom :D !

You know, don't be in a hurry to put away that tall tank. I think if you go over to the betta section and read up , it may be that you could have a beautiful betta in there! With a heater of course.

As for the Seaclear hexagonal- that is a really nice tank and 26 gallons is a nice size to start with :) Smiley because I said start with and most of us here have slowly gone up and up in tank size!!!Us GF addicts that is!

You could have 2 fancy goldfish very happily in a 26 :exactly !

If you want a shubunkin, they are rather large long fish and will grow fast and you really need 20 gallons each for those as Devs mentions.

Looking forward to hearing what you decide to get :pianobanana

A betta is such a fun fish! And would be so happy in your tank,and a heater may not be necessary if your room stays at a warm,constant temp. :) The colors & fin styles are endless.These guys have such personality.You would love one!And gold fish would be happy in your (first ;) )new tank.

Edited by merlinsmom

Hello Cattrix!

I, too, am from Oregon, and have been trying to do some research before I got my fish. I found this site when my last fish were dying, and I was determined to not make that mistake again.

I decided to get a goldfish tank in November, and finally added a fish to it this week! So, it can take a while to do all the planning and preparation ahead of time (although I spent some of that time waiting to get the tank as a present from DH, then more time doing a fishless cycle).

Bettas are a really nice "instant gratification" fish, and having a betta was probably what kept me from getting too impatient about the goldie tank during that time. Unless your house stays consistently warm at night, I have found that they need a heater in Oregon. The daytime temps were fine, but with the cold spells we've been having, it was much too cold at night.

Besdies the heating, though, they seem to be remarkable hardy and tolerant fish. They are also really friendly and beautiful. I have my betta in my classroom, and the kids are convinced that he loves books, because he's always at the front of the tank when we're reading. They haven't noticed that he's always at the front of the tank when there are people around, and that there are always people nearby when we're reading. ;) He's so much more of a character than I expected when I bought him, and he's been great fun.

So, if you don't have the means to set up a good goldie tank right away, I think you would enjoy a betta. At least, I know that I have. :)

For a 26gal tank what size of filter would be best...

The filter should pump at least 260 gallons per hour. More is better however. Undergravel filters are not desired for goldfish, as they get clogged too easily. I would also not recommend internal filters, as they sacrifice much needed water space. Hang over the back power filters are really good, and quite economical. I would recommend the Penguin 350 if you are on a budget, or the Emperor 400 which is a little more expensive. If you are near a vvvv, you can print out the online prices for those from vvvv.com and they will price match it (US locations only). Alternately bigalsonline.com has good prices, but you still have to pay shipping, and drsfostersmith.com also is cheaper than in store prices.

However if you really want to go all out, get a canister filter. They are far better at biological filtration. People seem to like the Renas and the Eheims. Eheim runs a little more pricey than the Rena does. I hear people recommending combining canister filters along with other filters in order to get the full benefit of good mechanical filtration as well as the huge biological filtration that happens in canisters. I haven't had the good fortune to own a canister myself, but if I did, I'd buy a Rena, as the price is quite a bit lower.

Guest Cattrix

Hello Trinket, MerlinsMom, Zelanie and L.E. Pirin ... Thank you for the good info.. We are going to get a Betta to start with .. which I have had before,, I had naver used a heater on them though! and maybe that is why they didn't last very long,,, :cry1 Our house is old almost 100 years old and DRAFTY!!!! So if we get a Betta I will get a heater,,, besides GF are there any other fish that do not require a heater?? But I do like Bettas.. and from looking around the colors and patterns are getting WAY wild!!! heaters scare me though..... bad bad experiance. :blink:

My husband wants to plow full steam ahead with the new tank,,, but I am Holding him back and going to get this little tank set up and going properly ,,, too get our feet wet again first.

Thanks for the info one the filter,,, We will look for one that is in the higer turnover rate,,, I posted that we have a AquaTech filter,, but I was wrong it is a AquaClear,, with biomax... which I guess means that it supports the benifical bacteria ... When I kept fish before I only had a vauge idea of what a tank cycle was ,,, but I will say for the most part I was pretty lucky.. I got out of fish due to my cats at that time being way to interested in the fish,,, we had adopted a teenage kitten who litterally ran some Angelfish to death and even though we tried to protect the tank she was such a terror she stressed them to death and actually fished a few out ... she was a bad one that cat, :devilangel ,, we named her Angelfishes Nightmare ,, I gave the remaining away,,, that cat was with us for many years :D

Again I digress!!! Yeah Oregon can get COLD :exactly and rainy and HOT ... hhehehe we have it all, from snow to shore, desert and temprate rainforest,, any concievable climate,,. execpt tropical. :D

Thanks for your Help! I will post pics when I get the tank set up and going HUG!!!

Cat

I have an Aqua Clear here, and I am really happy with it so far. The biomax is one kind of filter media that it comes with. Mine came with a sponge (mechanical), carbon (chemical), and the biomax (biological). A lot of people around here don't use carbon because they do frequent water changes, so I used the sponge and biomax in mine, plus got another sack for filter media, and some "bioballs". I know that others prefer to run two sponges instead of an extra bag of biomedia. I hung on to the carbon, though, as it will be useful if I ever need to remove medications from the water.

One thing you could do with your betta is get a suction cup thermometer and put it in your tank and just keep an eye on what the temperatures are like in the unheated tank at different times of the day. If it stays stable and is between 70-82 F, you'll probably be OK. If it drops any lower than that at night, you'll want a heater. I just got a 7.5 watt hydor heater that can go below the gravel. It doesn't have any glass parts, and doesn't even need to be fully submerged, so I don't worry about it like I would one with glass parts. I don't think it would be quite enough for your long, tall, tank, though. :( Mine is a 2.5 gal minibow.

I know what you mean about drafty- this house is 66 years old, and my classroom was built as part of the New Deal!

Guest Cattrix

I have an Aqua Clear here, and I am really happy with it so far.--- SNIP--- I hung on to the carbon, though, as it will be useful if I ever need to remove medications from the water.

One thing you could do with your betta is get a suction cup thermometer lower than that at night, you'll want a heater. I just got a 7.5 watt hydor heater that can go below the gravel. It doesn't have any glass parts, and doesn't even need to be fully submerged, so I don't worry about it like I would one with glass parts. I don't think it would be quite enough for your long, tall, tank, though. :( Mine is a 2.5 gal minibow.

I know what you mean about drafty- this house is 66 years old, and my classroom was built as part of the New Deal!

Hi Zelanie, I filled the tank and had to cut a larger opening in the tank lid so the filter would fit. It is the AquaClear 20 what used to be refered to as The Mini, but there is no room for a heater now.. hmm I will look into 7.5 watt hydor heater and see if it will work or search around for another that might work.

I used 4.5 gals to fill the tanks so it is even smaller then I thought! after the water sat for several hours the temp was hitting 65 degrees. The tank has two stick on thermometers right on it, one at the top and one closer to the base... we turn the heat down to 50 most nights so yeah it would be a little cold without heat. :badidea Do you think I should take the carbon pack out of my filter and get another sponge? I have not plugged it in yet just set it up.

I always wear a shawl, because it is so drafty,,, but it really gets bad when there is a breeze LOL ...

Cat