Sign in to follow this  
dana

Filter Suggestions

Hi guys! Well it's official - i really don't like the filter i'm using in Charlie Parker's 5g tank. It's an Elite Stingray submersible. Any other suggestions? I'm willing to try something different. Thanks for your suggestions!

Dana.

I have my betta in a 10 gal tank which I know is bigger then yours but I use a TopFin 10, which I have taken a sponge from a sponge filter kit, cut it in two, and slipped half over the intake basket and the other half over the area where the water comes out of. Makes for very little water movement, which Steve appreciates, but also does a nice job keeping his tank clean. Perhaps TopFin has a smaller filter for a 5 gal.

My betta are in a divided 10G.I use a ACmini(20) on the lowest flow.They swim fine.But the flow hits the divider and disperses a bit,so that may help :)

I checked out what all we've got available here, and has anyone heard of the Elite Mini? It's supposed to be for up to 3g tanks, but i wondered if it would be ok for the 5gallon?

I checked out what all we've got available here, and has anyone heard of the Elite Mini? It's supposed to be for up to 3g tanks, but i wondered if it would be ok for the 5gallon?

Hi Dana, is this the one you mean?

http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/aquati...=01001300011001

I used to have an Elite Mini filter (by Hagen/Fluval) in my 7 US gal tank before I upgraded to a 10 US gal tank and got a bigger filter for it

I had the UK version (which I think is slightly more powerful though?)

It was this one

http://www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/product.cf...=01001300030401

So, I can't comment definately on the flow rate as I think mine was more powerful, but then again I did use it in a larger tank than it was specified for and it worked out fine. So if you're planning to do the same thing it should be OK.

I remember it had a +/- flow slide and you could direct the output to wherever. Mine was supposed to do 220L an hour (your version looks to do 100L ?) but of course in a slightly bigger tank and with the flow slide right down low (if necessary, but avoid if you can) it won't do anything like that, so I wouldn't of thought it would be too powerful for your betta tank.

It is a VERY basic little filter, but it did work for me - and did not bother the Betta and most importantly it cycled! You can seed it first in your goldie tank if you wanted to.

The down side is that the filter sponge is very small (a single sponge cube) but it seemed to cope with the bio load of my Betta. Also, very quiet in operation too.

Hope that helped a bit :)

Edited by mrbumblebee

I have the Elite Mini that I had used in a 2.5gal with my female betta. It can have a very strong current and I had to turn it way down. The current produced didn't bother the betta, as matter of fact, she liked swimming in the current. Even in a 5 gallon you may need to turn it to the lower settings. It is very quiet and I am now using it in my 5G quarantine tank. If you decide to buy it, don't change the sponge inside - just rinse it out in tank water whenever you do a water change. This way you won't lose the good bacteria that populated the sponge and your tank remains cycled. You don't have to change the sponge unless it starts disintegrating. Jope this helps.

thanks for the info you guys! Mr b - that's the exact one i was talking about! I think i'll get it today! Thanks for all the practical advice as well! Soorry to be so brief, but i have a fevered 2 yr old on my lap, and typing is awkard!