Forgive Me, Really Stupid ? About Prime

Ok, so when i do water changes, i take out my dirty water with a bowl and dump it into a trash can. The water then gets dumped outside onto my bushes, as i heard it's a good fertilizer. When i put new water in, i used temp matched out of the tap into the tank. transporting from my kitchen to my tank in a 1.5 gal bowl. yea, it's alot of trips, but it's the best method i've come up with so far. I have a battery powered gravel vac, so the waste gets filtered and that water goes back into the tank. i *could* attach a hose to that vac to use as a syphon, but i haven't found that size tubing anywhere. SO my question is: since i am transporting tap water bowl by bowl, i have been conditioning it using REGULAR water conditioner that is measured 5 drops per gallon. i put 8 drops in my bowl and i'm good. i usually add my dose of prime to one of these bowls, so it gets into the tank a little diluted. basically, i am using two water conditioners. i would like to use prime exclusively, but with the way i put my water in, i'd have to put the prime into the tank, then put unconditioned water into the tank. i have not been comfortable doing that. i didn't know if it was ok or not. if the prime would act immediately to condition the new water, or if being unconditioned for that amount of time until the prime worked would be harmful.

ps- it's only a 29 gal tank, so even with a 50% change i'm not even putting in half a capfull of prime.

any suggestions or answers will be appreciated.

Thanks!

I once emailed SeaChem about it and they told me that PRIME is generally safe up to 5xDosage. So depending on the size of your tank, you can consider this.

As far as water changes, I've got a Python hose attached to my sink, so I have to dose with PRIME prior to adding faucet water. I dose for the entire volume of the tank and I haven't had any problems.

Just as a side note, you can look into purchasing extra parts for the Python and just hook it up to your current gravel vacuum so you don't have to use the bowl method anymore. :)

LOL! That's not stupid, just a learning experience. Get yourself a MaxiJet 1200 (should be under $30) and about 5 feet of 1/2" tubing, and PUMP the water into your tank. This is what I do.

Dave

would i be able to find said item at a petstore? i am guessing so but i've never heard of or seen such things!

Yes, it's called a powerhead - a small water pump. The output will fit neatly into 1/2 inch tubing. You can get 'em at Jacks, or vvvv, or any LFS, or from Big Al's online,

Dave

LOL! That's not stupid, just a learning experience. Get yourself a MaxiJet 1200 (should be under $30) and about 5 feet of 1/2" tubing, and PUMP the water into your tank. This is what I do.

Dave

would i be able to find said item at a petstore? i am guessing so but i've never heard of or seen such things!