Sign in to follow this  
Jon

Whats Happening!

Please provide the following details when requesting help for Goldfish Problems: Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? 0

Nitrite Level? 0

Nitrate level? 10

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? 7.4

Ph Level out of the Tap? 7.8

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 55, few months

What is the name and size of the filter/s? ac 110

How often do you change the water and how much? 50% every 2 weeks

How many fish in the tank and their size? 5 fish, 1 2", 2 3" 2 4"

What kind of water additives or conditioners? prime

Any medications added to the tank? no

Add any new fish to the tank? no

What do you feed your fish? wardely, peas...

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt"

bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? no

Any unusual behavior like staying

at the bottom, not eating, ect..? Yes

Yesterday goggles was kinda floating around, i just thought it was a mild case of sbd. as soon as i fed him he was fine. today, he was stuck to the filter. one of his eyes has a bulge on it. it is also larger than normal. One gill flap is curled outwards. He is also really skinny. I dont really see any raised scales though, other than between his dorsal fin and tail fin, just on top, and its only a little bit. he is floating at the top of the breeder pen the i put him in. he was just trying to swim around alittle. i tried to feed him, but he wont eat

Thanks in advanced

Edited by Fuzzy Peaches

Are the eye & the gill flap on the side of him that was stuck to the filter?? Was/is he floating around head down tail up? (THis can be a sign of septecemia). It is not a good sihn that he won't eat. Do you have a seperate tank that you can use as a QT tank?

Jenn

Are the eye & the gill flap on the side of him that was stuck to the filter?? Was/is he floating around head down tail up? (THis can be a sign of septecemia). It is not a good sihn that he won't eat. Do you have a seperate tank that you can use as a QT tank?

they might have been stuck to the filter, but im not really sure, but they are on the same side. he's not head down tail up. i do have a qt tank, but i would have to set it up

Well, he just ate the flake i that i put in there about an hour ago, so i gave him a little more, and now hes doing good. hes up right, swimming, searching for food. Could he be starving from not getting any food some how? I thought he was getting his share, but mabey not...

So sorry to hear Goggles is having a rough time.Hope he pulls through this he's a special little guy :exactly Message for Goggles tell him he's to get better soon.Fins crossed for him :)

I hope Goggles pulls thru!! Its always frustrating when we dont know whats wrong. :heart

Thanks guys!! He's still sick, he'll float on his side everynow and then. I'm just making sure he isnt doing it in one spot for to long because he doesnt need an ulcer too.

Hummm I am by no means any kind of expert but two things came to mind, the floaty stuff made me think SBD have you tried fasting him then feeding peas? And the part about him being skinny kind of made me think internal parasites which I *think* could affect the way his swim bladder works, I know that bad bacterial infections can mess with the swim bladder. Hopefully someone who really knows their stuff will come along and help, I do hope Goggles feel better soon. :heart

Oh and just a suggestion if that AC 110 only pulls 110gphs you might want to add a larger filter too especially with 5 fish in a 55 gallon :)

Oh and just a suggestion if that AC 110 only pulls 110gphs you might want to add a larger filter too especially with 5 fish in a 55 gallon

AC 110 has 500 gph turn over rate.

Thanks

If he does have parasights, i wonder where he could have gotten them from. I've been out of bloodworms for a few months now..

Edited by Fuzzy Peaches

Good! See I told you I know nothing about them! :D

Oh No! hope that he's going to be ok Peaches! I'd get that QT tank set up right away, just in case it turns out to be neccesary, then it'll be all ready for you. I hope that one the experts will be able to help you soon, but in the meantime, a waterchange never hurts. I'd also consider treating with salt as a first step towards treatment. If he was QT'd you'd be able to fast him for a couple of days, an then try him on a diet of only peas for a couple more days. Waterchanges every day - even twice a day, might do a lot for him. Best of luck - he is quite a guy, we're all rooting for a speedy recovery!

I got the qt tank set up, rubed a bunch of media on the filter and i took the water from the 55 to fill it up. i put him in. hes kinda looking around. his one eye looks really bad though. im going to add a little salt tonight, and then a little tommorow

sorry about your fishi best of luck to his recovery :)

Hang in there Goggles! Fins and fingers crossed over here. :cry1

Fuzzy..it sounds a lot like pop eye to me. I am afraid it is what my Princess had with similar symptoms. I hope that you'll get more help soon but meanwhile I would definitely start salting slowly and bring it up to 0.3%...

well, today, he is swimming a little better, but today his face was covered in fungus, so i started treating with some maracyn 2, which also helps with pop eye, which imogen suggested

Hows the cute guy doing today Fuzzy.Hope he's getting better

Well, I'll start out with the good news I guess. Today, I noticed less fungus on his face, gills, and eyes, so I guess the maracyn 2 is helping with that. I checked my water to make sure my 'instant cycle' worked, and it did. Ammonia is at 0.

Now for the bad news..... Today, he hasnt swam at all. Just floating on his side. I'm still moving him from every now and then so he doesnt dry out in one spot and get a ulcer. He wouldnt eat. There isn't very much gill movment either. As much as I hate to say this, but I don't think he's going to make it. :cry1

Edited by Fuzzy Peaches

Hang in there I've been reading a lot about fish disease as of late and have read some very encouraging stories. It sometimes has to get worse before it gets better. Goggle's has so many fans on here including me, he had me with his first 'death glare' :D Hoping you have better news and the little guys is back to himself soon. I'm sure one of the pro's will be along soon to check in.

Thanks!! I know that there could be a 'marricle'(i hope thats how you spell it) In fact, I've hadone myself. i came home one day to find mr brain on his side looking like a AAA grade pearlscale. But he survived!!

I hope he gets better too. I always like his "stare" and how his eyes seem like they are glowing blue. Goggles is the one that gave me the idea for the name of my black moor, Boggles.

He's swimming a little. Staying upright most the time. I really wanted to post pictures of my fish soon, since its been a while, but that will have to wait since my picture threads arent any good with out the good old 'death glare'. Peaches has been picking up on the glare too, but its just not the same... Yoy just gotta love that black face with blue googly eyes... :heart

heres an old pic from when he live in my 30 with the evil guppies that would pick on him. Now hes in a 55, guppie free :D

STA71607.jpg

Edited by Fuzzy Peaches

Poor Goggles, I hope she can hold on! :heart

I hope he recovers too.

Best to you and him.