Marsh Plants

JohnF

Hi All,

I am constructing a large water feature with an area of about 1000 sq.m and intend to create some low wet areas, about 50cm deep to plant some evergreen flowering plants. The place gets full sun. I was thinking some types of irises. Any suggestions will surely be appreciated :)

I'd be careful how low you made these area's...Low water area's mean that racoons and other predators will be able to wade in your feature and perhaps snatch up some of your fish. :blink:

Blue & Yellow water Irises would be lovely and grow 3-4 feet tall.

Edited by Katalyst

What climate are you in, John? Whatever you are planting, consider the winter temperatures, and if those plantings are gonna come back in the spring after the cold. Don't wonna waste money on pretty plants, and then find outo that they are anuals and only survive for one season.

If you check out Bonniesplants.com, you'll find all kinds of plants, and Bonnie will be able to help you find the right ones for your area. :)

Thanks for your immediate replies.

We don't have any racoons in Malta (Europe). The only predators are people :D . Regarding climate - worst winters fall to about 18 deg. C for some weeks (if not days), and summers are quite hot - over 35 deg. C from June to October sometimes over 40! Snow and ice are only found in the dictionery :) .

I was thinking of wet areas about 12" deep filled with a mixture of gravel and soil. The water level would be 1" or 2" above the substrate. Plants 2 - 4ft tall would be ideal. I know that flowering will take place in season, but the area would look nice if these plants are evergreen.