Sign in to follow this  
Peanuts

Salting

I've a moor that's injured his eye and i'm keeping him in a tub that is just under 22gals.

My question is, if i want to salt the tank to 0.3 for medication purposes i just need to add 22tablespoons of salt?

Yes? no?

NO!

It is:

0.1% = Approximately 1 level Tablespoon of large grained aquarium salt per 5 gallons OR 1 level teaspoon of large grained aquarium salt per 1 gallon.

0.2% = Approximately 2 level Tablespoons of large grained aquarium salt per 5 gallons OR 2 level teaspoons of large grained aquarium salt per 1 gallon.

0.3% = Approximately 3 level Tablespoons of large grained aquarium salt per 5 gallons OR 3 level teaspoons of large grained aquarium salt per 1 gallon.

If you wish to bring 22 gallons to 0.3% salt - (rather high for an injury - I think I would go more on the order of 0.1%) add in 22 level teaspoons of large grained salt. Wait 12 hours, add in another 22 level teaspoons of large grained salt. Wait 12 more hours and add in the final 22 teaspoons of large grained salt.

Thanks daryl!

It's a good job that i haven't salted the tank yet! I think i must have confused my teaspoons and tablespoons

I would not call the aquarium salt I buy large grained....it is the same as table salt in size.....would the dose be the same?

I think it'll be fine if you level-it out rather than having "rounded" scoops.

A more accurate way is 1 gram per 1 Litre, that way you don't have to worry about how fine the salt is. Thats to get 0.1%

Edited by svendenhowser

Remember not to use real table salt unless it has no caking agents or other chemicals. I use kosher salt. there's nothing but salt in it.