Sign in to follow this  
smwilliams

Nitrites Gone, But I Still Have Ammonia...?

29 days. .25 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5ppm nitrate, ph 7.8, tank temp 72F

it is possible/normal to be reading .25 ammonia and not nitrites? shouldn't ammonia be gone first, and by now? i know i have a constant source of ammonia, but obviously, the cycle bacteria are established... should i just give the nitrifying ones more time? i'm using prime, which says it REMOVES ammonia, and detoxifies nitrite and nitrate... just wondering if any of you have info/advice.

thanks.

also- is a ph of 7.8 too high? should i try to remedy this with chemicals or leave it be?

I'm not sure about the ammonia issue, but a PH of 7.8 is fine as long as it is stable. My goldie and tropical tanks always measure about 7.8 and I have never had any problems. Out of the tap it is about 7.6. Have you tested the PH of your tap water?

pH of 7.8 is fine. Ammonia of .25 ppm I would call a "trace" amount, and nearly within the precision of the ammonia test. It is sometimes difficult to distinguish clearly between zero and 0.25. I wouldn't worry about this as long as it doesn't get any higher. I would continue to monitor, but I think that you are good to go.

I wouldn't ba adding Prime because of the ammonia issue, either.

Dennis

The Prime binds the ammonia so it is not toxic to the fish. I haven't been on in a bit & so my poor rusty memory can't keep up but I agree that I would just keep an eye on the ammonia level. I would continue to use Prime as a water conditioner though when doing water changes. You haven't said but if you have ammonia in your tap (I do) sometimes you see a slight spike immediately after a large water change (if you test right away). I find the Prime takes care of this.

I wouldn't do anything with that pH as long as it's stable.

:D Jenn

i'm only using prime with water changes. my ammonia has pretty much stayed .25 for a long while now. i'm relieved about the pH though. thanks. hopefully the ammonia will go down. i'd really like to not have to do the every other day water changes anymore.

Have you tested your tap water for ammonia as fisharenewtome suggested?

i did test tap. no ammonia. i just tested my water after about a 50% water change (i gave it an hour or two) no ammonia, but .25 nitrite. the water company says the tap water has .86 ppm nitrite, so maybe i need to give that longer to weed itself out. last night my tests read .5 ammo, .25 nitrite, and 5 nitrate. so since my nitrite is still going up if i give it long enough w/o a water change, i guess i am just not anywhere near cycled. i would at least like to see 0 ammonia readings though. it's been a month!

I don't mean to freak you out but my first tank (now a few years ago) took approx 13 weeks to cycle (with fish in it). Just keep up with the water changes - hopefully it will sort itself out soon!! (I remember I thought I'd be changing water daily forever!!!)

:D Jenn